Firewalls/general: "kind of shopping..."

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SG1, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

In event our current Sygate Pro f'wall falls behind, shows its age, gets buried eventually by current "owner," and as I kind of like it (and its approach of not being a real headache to use) after trying out several firewalls sometime ago, I wonder:

May I have opinions on today's market & what's avail., and may have a Sygate "style" or similar take on things - i.e., not too tough to setup, no complex rules, and an f'wall that won't ask about everything under the sun w/zillion popups, and so on?

And yet, of course, it needs to be solid/reliable, so I may have to get used to something more demanding that what we use now and learn more about a firewall's approach/handling of the 'net.

Thanks, for any thoughts on this. SG1 (Pat)

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Comodo if you want a software firewall.
    It's being updated, and upon install, it has a rather large library of known good applications..have it run a scan of your system at first..so it "learns" what's on your system..and those early "nags" are less frequent.

3. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

ZoneAlarm (free or Paid), Look'n'Stop (paid, Free = No outbound after trial)

Zonealarm is very user friendly.

If you don't mind a little tweaking than go for Kerio 2.1.5 (Free) with BZ's rule.

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

ZoneAlarm is your best bet if you want ease of use yet wanting to have control over your programs.

5. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

i second comodo fw have it on two computers newest beta and its very easy to use and works flawless :cool:

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Comodo is excellent if you want a free firewall. If you have some cash to spend i'd recommend outpost pro or zonealarm, both are very good however i'd say ZA is a bit more resource hungry compared to outpost.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I recommend Comodo firewall.
    It's easy to use and gets "Tru Stealth" at Sheilds Up without any tweaking needed.

8. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Another vote for Comodo. Passes all leak tests OOB.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i agree with betauser2.

zonealarm is one of the few remaining application-based firewalls and its very user-firendly. tho if u get a paid version, its likely to have teh OSFirewall which would add to the number of pop-ups.

looknstop is simple too, but some programs (like games and p2p) may need rules setup for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.