Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DoeZ0763, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

Good Morning...I posted in the "adware spyware & hijacking cleaning"...I was having some other problems that I believe have been fixed BUT...when I first downloaded Zone-Alarm it was ok...after a bit I couldn't get my Outlook Express to work or a few other items...so I uninstalled ZA...I'm running Windows XP Home and not sure if I have a firewall...or if I should try Zone-Alarm one more time...Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated :)

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mornin', DoeZ!

Is everything working now without ZoneAlarm? If so, I'd try downloading ZA again, making sure you're getting the free version (at least to start with). Save the file to your computer; do not install it while connected to the net.

After the download is complete, disconnect from the net and disable (temporarily) your active AV scanner. Install ZA and reboot your computer. Connect to the net.

You'll get a number of popups from ZA, letting you know that various programs are looking to do various things online. Be selective in what you allow, especially those you choose to always allow access with the "Remember my answer ..." checkbox.

On my machine, using the free version of ZA, the only thing I've 'always' granted access to is my ISP's dialer; everything else requires my interaction.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, you know where else you can contact me. ;)

3. DoeZ0763

Good to see you dangitall...Everything seems to be working fine since uninstalling the ZA...I'm a little worried that if I install it again...it's not going to allow my Outlook Express to work again...Is there a way to look at everything and click on what I want and don't want? o_O

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

There is supposed to be a wizard like screen, asking you to allow or disallow the aplication to communicate with the internet. You only have to accept this warning once, if you check a little box, to allow always.

5. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Before you go randomly checking outbounds....be sure NOT TO ALLOW ANY PROGRAM TO ACT AS A SERVER!
    An you may want to disable your XP firewall if using ZA

6. melissa

melissa Registered Member

the server option is only in zone alarm not in other firewalls like outpost

7. DoeZ0763

dangitall...I reinstalled ZA and think I checked the rite things to allow...I'm a little nervous here...How do I find that page that shows what it allows and all those check marks? Also...there's this thing here that sorta confused me...it was asking it I would allow this...192.168.1.101(NETBioS Session) I have no clue what this is...I hate say this but I'm gonna get so confused with this now...Help :'(

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

9. DoeZ0763

I don't understand please...what is this page and why not? o_O

10. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

He is saying don't worry

go to that page which shows you exactly how to set up Zone alarm with nice easy to understand pictures

11. sig

sig Registered Member

Are you on a local area network and are sharing files between your computers? Offhand, it looks like your computer wants to talk to another computer in a local network (netbios session). But if you don't have a LAN, definitely don't allow.

As for the page linked to, it's OK to go to and you should check it out. It's a Security Focus article on how to configure ZA securely.

12. DoeZ0763

:rolleyes:Well why didn't he just say that :-*

13. DoeZ0763

Ok let's see here...bare with me cuz I'm not computer literate...I was afraid of this here...zone alarm asked me and I didn't know...it looked like some type of address that I dont know...192.168.1.101 (NETBIOS Session)

As for local network...I have cable modem...and I don't believe I'm sharing files with another computer...

14. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Again, don't worry (I hope..) :)

the indicated ip address, 192.168.1.101, is a private address, this means that this is an ip address that is not on the internet. Since you are on a cable, this might mean that this is either the ip address of your computer on the network of your cable internet provider, or it is the ip address of the computer form you internet provider. In both cases this is ok, both these systems can be trusted.

The ip address 192.168 is a so called private ip address, that can be used on local networks only. This address can not be found on the internet. The internet routers do not support ip addresses in this range (19.1.68.*.*). There are two other private ranges, but they are not iomportant right now.

You can check the ip address of yor computer by doing this (sorry, I am not on an english language windows system): from the Start button: choose run
    in the command line enter: cmd and press ok
    in the new windows (don't fear) enter ' ipconfig' and press the enter-button on your keyboard.

The ipconfig tool will show you lots of information, but most important, it will show the ip-address of your computer.
    If this ip-address is 192.168.1.101, then your are okay. If it shows a different number... call back here :)

15. DoeZ0763

I'm going to the run window and typing in ipconfig...a black window comes up and then goes away...I can't even get my eyes to see anything its that fast...it doesn't stay open...

16. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Sorry... I'm on a linux system and on a dutch language Windows 2000 system. I can't even figure how to get to the Windows network settings.... must be my ignorance (i really don't like windows ;)) sorry...

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Doe,

Click on start, run, cmd
    A new doslike window will open
    Then type: ipconfig /all

Gerard

18. dangitall

Hiya, Doez! ;)

Unless you are connected to a home network (yours is a standalone machine, right?), do not allow that NetBios connection in the ZA popup. When you see the popup for NetBios, click on the 'Rember my answer ..' (or however it's worded) checkbox right above the 'Yes' and 'No' buttons and then select 'No'.

The only problem I see with that page that Meneer linked you to is that it seems to be for older versions of ZA. There's some good information there, but you'd probably do just as well to view the ZA tutorial, for which there should be an entry in your Start Menu.

Now, to get to that screen with all the checkmarks in it that you were shown in your HJT post, right-click the ZA icon in the lower right corner of your screen. Select "Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center'. On the left side of the Control Center, select 'Program Control' and, at the upper right of that screen, click on the 'Programs' tab. This will show you exactly which programs are allowed which permissions for access. Check the settings here for your OutlookExpress. If you have four blue question marks, OE will ask for permission each time that you open it (when you open OE, you'll get that ZA popup; simply hit the 'Yes' button). This is the way I recommend leaving it.

Someone else suggested this: if you are using the firewall built-in to WinXP, you may want to disable it (I can't tell you how, though, as I run Win98SE). I seem to recall having read that the MS firewall doesn't play nice with other firewalls.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I may not be able to get right back to you due to our apparently incompatible schedules, but someone else here can help, and many of them know more than I do about the issues you're having.

19. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

open network connections
    rightclick on your connection
    choose properties
    choose advanced tab
    here you can disable your XPfirewall

It may look a bit different on your machine because i am using a dutch version

Better to disable it if using another FW
    And also disable when using a home network

Gerard

20. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I concur - it is highly recommended to disable your XP firewall in order to prevent conflict.

21. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi - I encountered this problem myself. In order for OE to work you must give it access to the internet. Without it being connected to the internet there is no way you can receive and send mail that I know of if your firewall is blocking access. You will also have to allow your anti-virus program [you do if you are using Avast] to access the internet for updates and for scanning incoming and outgoing mail.

I am using WinXP, ZoneAlarm Pro which is password protected.

22. DoeZ0763

Doe,

Click on start, run, cmd
    A new doslike window will open
    Then type: ipconfig /all

Gerard

Ok...I did this and I saw that IP address 192etc...it says it's my IP address...so I'm gonna assume to allow this...yes?

Also...I'm not sure about this homenetwork thing or stand alone? What's that about? And also...the XP Firewall was disabled. Am I a stupid idiot or what?

23. DoeZ0763

Dangitall...I got to that ZA page...there was something there I remember seeing somewhere..."PDP RPC SERVER" it has o_O Do you remember what this was? Also...in the one column named SERVER...they all have a ?? should they? Sorry? :rolleyes:

24. dangitall

If the ZoneAlarm popup says that something wants permission to acces the net as a server, click the 'Remember' box and then the 'No' button.

Standalone: your computer is not connected to any other computer
    Networked: your computer is part of a group of intercommunicating, directly connected computers

Yours is a home computer? Are there any wires or cables connecting it to another computer in the house/apartment/building? If not, then it is a standalone.

If your WinXP firewall was already disabled, that is a good thing ... at least for the purposes of this discussion!

Unfortunately, the 'PDP RPC SERVER' entry doesn't ring any bells, but I'll doublecheck and try to get back to you.

All of the entries in my 'Server' column are blue question marks. I have to figure that I'm doing something right as everything is working.

Are you still having problems with OutlookExpress? If so, what are the error messages (if any), and what are the entries in ZA (from the screen with the question marks) for it?

25. DoeZ0763

Ok dangitall...I have another computer hooked up thru a router...that is my sons...we have cable modem...so i am to say I am a network computer...that is my final answer :D No problems with the OE...I must have done something wrong the last time...stupid is as stupid does :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.