firewall ??????

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by crotale26, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crotale26

crotale26 Registered Member

what is the best internet protection according to you :

1- Eset Smart Security ( antivirus firewall antispam )
    2 - NOD32 + Zone alarm ( freeware )

i am not interested by antispam.

thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

This:

3. NOD32 + Online Armor free

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Unsubstantiated A v B type replies bring nothing to the table. Unless members start including some qualified technical content in their replies, this thread will be closed.

Regards

Menorcaman

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would go with NOD32 + Zone Alarm free of those 2 choices.
    The reasoning for me is- I have used ZA and am not sold on the firewalls that are included in some suites.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@crotale26

I would vote for Eset Smart Security

Eset Smart Security may be more expensive than your other choice of Eset Antivirus and the free Zone Alarm firewall but it will provide you additional functionality.

Eset Smart Security is much lighter as a whole component . All modules are working as one , they "help each other" for maximum protection and best resourse usage. With Eset Smart Security you'll have only 30 Mb (approximately) memory usage , whereas with Eset Antivirus + Zone Alarm = much more than 30 MB mem usage . With the second case , EA is antivirus/antithreat , ZA is firewall .

Something else that you should consider is that Eset Smart Security can work in both Automatic and Interactive mode - can be fully automated and silent firewall or similar to ZA's - ask for user action. The free edition of ZA doesn't include detailed reles creation for applications and port , whereas ESS does .

With ESS you also get Application modification detection , which is something that may help further in finding new unknown threats and making the firewall block these . ZA free have no such thing.

Something else you must remember is to test the combinations yourself before chosing the one :thumb:

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Apologies Menorcaman.

Id go with the first option. Its light, easy-to-use, and I find the suite's firewall to work well with p2p/gaming.

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

They are all good, and it is hard to say which is better in the end. Perhaps the "cool" choice is #3, but I happen to like Comodo as a firewall myself because it is easy to use.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

For free I think Webroot Desktop Firewall with DSA enabled, Avira Personal Edition, and perhaps ThreatFire added in would not only rival Eset Smart Security protection, but you wouldn't be putting all your eggs in one basket. Also the combined memory usage wouldn't be that high at around 38MB. WDF's learning mode works very well and there are few pop ups after you decide to turn it off. After that it's easy to use and along with Avira you get excellent AV protection. I doubt you would even need TF with this combo.

9. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

ENA + Online Armor Free
    Easy to use and very strong!

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I agree. Do you pick this limited choice because you have looked at all other possibilties? Do you put forward that this is only the choice?.
    We will of course see many posts on "why not this or that".
    Very un-productive (IMHO)

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For a list of good antivirus programs, goto HERE, click "Comparatives" on left-side column, then click "Online results" for #15.

For recent lists of good firewalls, read HERE and HERE.

For questions such as yours, it's helpful to specify more information such as your OS, type of internet connection, how you use your computer, how skilled you are at configuring firewalls, etc.

Gud luk ;)

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Also what is ENA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.