Firewall with Profiles and Per Session Permissions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by egg, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egg

egg Registered Member

This is my first time in looking for a firewall, so I apologize if these are basic questions/scenarios, I looked at the FAQ and it looks like mostly for configuring a rather static set of rules. Previously I have just depended on AntiVirus, AntiSpy and a hardware firewall, but I just got a new laptop and have needed to use it in public wi-fi situations, so I wanted to get something more secure than the firewall that comes with Windows. The trouble is that I use my laptop in different environments that require different firewall settings, here are some examples of profiles:
    * Public Wireless: Super Paranoid
    * Customer Network: Many outgoing ports and tools allowed
    * Private Network: Many outgoing ports and tools allowed and some incoming (usually a friend/family network)
    * Home: Many Outgoing and Incoming ports and tools allowed (ability to share and develop using the home machine)

I need the ability to run a VPN (both Cisco and MS) with the firewall running.

Also I may have multiple connections at the same time that require different settings (for instance a Public Wireless connected to a Customer VPN), the VPN needs to have permissions opened up while the Public Wireless should still be basically locked down.

Finally I would like the ability to add certain rules for a particular connection FOR THAT SESSION ONLY, after that I want it to revert automatically. For instance I may need to allow access for a customer to my MSSQL DB (port 1433), but I want it to default to being off the next time I use that profile, I will turn it on only when it is needed.

I tried some firewalls a few months ago that were spectacular failures (blue screens, ...). So with this new computer before downloading a bunch of things and having to install and uninstall them, I decided to ask to see what might fit my needs. Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i know f-secure's suite has a firewall with some profiles, but i dont have much experience with it and, of course, its a suite not standalone firewall.

im not sure about the other features u asked for.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Symantec Client Security, with Norton Personal Firewall 2006 does the job, especially with vpn & cisco. Im those connection types to. As WSFuser says f-secure does that to. ;)

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

F-Secure's suite has a VERY BASIC firewall. It has none what the original poster asked. In fact it has only basic packet filter features as far as I know. No HIPS's, them not needed in my opinion from a firewall, but some other features it should have had.

5. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Go read these links, the Client Security.

Check:
    http://www.f-secure.com/small_businesses/products/fscs.html (Client Security 7)
    or
    http://www.f-secure.com/products/fsavcs.html (Client Security 6).

If egg has acces to it througt work, education or something like that, then thats a possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.