Firewall will not allow access to internet

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by countryrev, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countryrev

countryrev Registered Member

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or not; but for the past five days I have noticed that if I keep my laptop on all day, the firewall makes it impossible for my router to allow access to the internet. At first I thought it might be something else, but then I noticed that if I temporarily disable the firewall, I am back online.

I am not sure what is causing this, but thought I would mention it in case anyone else has had similar problems. I am running WinXP Media Center Addition with a Centrino Duo Core and 1 Gig of Memory. I have found this issue with both IE7 and Firefox 3.01.

One more note ... if I disable the firewall and wait for about 10 mins and turn it back on, it works fine again (at least for a few hours)

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Are you running your firewall on automatic mode or on interactive mode?

3. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

I had the firewall freeze up on me a couple of days back. None of the modes allowed internet access, but a reboot fixed it.

4. livancicm

livancicm Registered Member

XPsp3 ie7,ff3.04 motorola sb5101e
    no problems with v3 with v4 i must hard restart modem every 20-30 min
    otherwise there is no other way to access the web not only for ff and ie
    bu also for nod

5. livancicm

forgot disabling firewall is not helping

6. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

XP Media Ctr/SP3/Automatic FW: Are All / Any of you getting Cannot Find Server as the indicator you can't access the internet?..... v4 works Great a little while and then repeatedly fails with Cannot Find Server.

I Un-Chk'd Scan HTTP (per another post that siad that fixed his problem) and it Immediately worked again - BUT For ONLY 4-5 tries and then Error Msg's again. Re-Boot helps BUt for only a little while.

7. countryrev

countryrev Registered Member

I've had a while longer to try and see if I can find out what is going on here. I too have found that a reboot helps for a while. However, I can only guarantee internet access if I turn off the firewall. I found this problem with the firewall setup both ways. Unfortunately, I have also found that the program updates itself and turns itself back on by default ... then I have to turn it off once again. I hope they address this soon. It has been a real issue for me.

8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Don't Even Think About It (Trying Smart Security Beta)

SOoo I have read all the posts about not being able to access the internet with SS v.4.

But I also have read and seen excellent reports about the big improvements in detection and removal of malware.

And most everyone said that a reboot can fix it (at least for a while)

OK so I said its worth a shot -- worst case I just reboot or uninstall.

Welllll. I tried it. Couldn't access the internet. No surprise there.

THE SURPRISE WAS SS V 4 MESSED UP MY NETWORK CONNECTION SO BADLY THAT I HAD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS.

DAMN!

Vista 64 OS

And I wonder how such a basic element as connecting to the internet -- the very reason for the existence of the program - could have escaped this company.

Sorry

9. qzex

qzex Registered Member

Beta programs have bugs. It's their nature...

(and this is why you always take backups.)

10. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

I just have started using Beta 4. I now find that I get dropped from the internet. I have XP Home, ThreatFire, and MagicJack phone.
    I see others are having some similar problems with internet connections.
    If I unplug my cable and then wait and replug cable modem, it takes care of it but I wonder if the settings are causing this.
    I want to edit this post to explain that I DO keep my cable connection but that I can NOT access the internet. When I unplug the cable modem and reconnect it gives me access to the internet.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    KOR-

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. userNamed

userNamed Registered Member

Similar issues

I have similar issues if I leave my machine on all day. At some point, ESET's firewall will start blocking access to all my applications who are set to be allowed to access the web.

Restarting either ESET or the applications fixes the problem.

Interactive mode with "allow access" rules for the offended applications.

12. Novicex

Novicex Registered Member

Maybe you should check rules? For example allow outbound TCP&UDP for svchost.exe (internet). Try:doubt:

13. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

14. livancicm

there is no problem with adsl connection on the cable it is the same

15. sc00ter

sc00ter Registered Member

I had problems with accessing the internet after upgrading to the V4 beta from my V3. What I had to do to fix it was to enable advanced mode, enable interactive filtering and delete ALL of my items in the "configure rules and zones" menu and let them all ask for access again. This solved my problems with IE, Live Mail, Live messenger as well as numerous windows live games.

16. jhjm32087

jhjm32087 Registered Member

I update the drivers to the version you linked to me, but still no luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.