Firewall update

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by John Bull, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

With AV programs, as they are updated very frequently - in the case of Comodo every 30 minutes, then the principle of operation must be a MATCHING process - the AV data base is matched against incoming data.

I have used Comodo for years and they update their AV base every 30 minutes, I get a barrage of balloon messages saying that is is being done all the time. I have never seen a balloon message saying the firewall is being updated.

At present I use AVG9 plus Comodo Pro V3 firewall. All I get with the firewall update is a message that their precious CIS-V4 is now available - who the hell wants Comodo IS-V4 ? We have the right to choose our own AV system and to use whatever firewall we like.

QUESTION :- Do firewalls update or are they designed with a manufacturers ad-infinitum pod that does not need updating ?
    I am strongly coming round to the conclusion of having Zone Alarm plus AVG9 and dumping Comodo.

John Bull

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Firewalls are the same basic principles no matter what version. Most of the time you will see a FW update to fix bugs in the GUI or bugs with the FW not handling rules right etc. If it works though and it blocks, filters, allows specific connections that you have set then you will rarely see an update. Its not like an AV that relies on detection rate. A FW's job is to filter incoming and outgoing traffic. I suppose you would see updates more frequently with a HIPs based FW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.