Firewall/Trojan

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Which software is the best for blocking trojans?
    Which software firewall is the best for blocking overallo_O
    Or they are all the same just 1 is more stable then the other?

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Blocking trojans is a two way affair:
    first is to stop them coming in: this is not really a firewall matter, it is content inspection, use anti virus and anti trojan to tackle this.
    second is blocking trojan activities once a trojan is activated. Most personal firewalls will at least enable you to block or allow outbound communication, either by trojans or by other processes. A firewall will not disable a trojan.

Alternative to outbound control is proces control, using an intrusion prevention tool, like prevx, safe'n'sec, cisco. These tools help you stay in control of your system.

A firewall will help, but it's not the answer to trojans.
    Microsoft's offering (windows firewall in XP SP2) will not help fighting trojans, so you'll have to get an other firewall, outpost, zonealarm etc.

3. wbbs

wbbs Registered Member

Hi,

I read elsewhere where it says spyware/adware uses Port80 to connect to the Internet to "bypass" the firewall.

At present, I've ZoneAlarm Plus 4.5.x (which has been retired by zonelabs) -
    but it does prompt me whenever a new application tries to access the internet.

In such cases, won't a firewall (eg. Zonealarm) alerts me if some spyware is trying to connect to the Internet even if it's using port 80?

Or will the spyware go un-detected?

I've checked my IE (I'm on XP Home, SP2) - no unknown BHOs installed.
    I also have Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta installed.

Many thanks for the answer.

Best regards,
    W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.