Firewall to use with NOD32

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zooburner, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooburner

zooburner Registered Member

Hiya there

Soon i will be renewing my AV suite,i currently use Kaspersky Internet Security, which is great but has become a little bit cluttered and I am having a few problems with compatability

What I am really after is a great solid AV and a Great solid Firewall both easy to use, Years ago i used NOD32 AV and Comodo Firewall, that seemed to work great, but now Comodo seem to have got cluttered too !!

I've done a little research and it seems very hard to get a Good AV + Firewall combination as often the firewall seems to want to do some of the AV's work, I pondered the idea of using NOD32 and windows firewall, which is good but doasnt stop applications dialing out, I trust all my applications, I just want to say which can call home as it were. but i think I have been able to find one that will let my AV and Firewall each do what they are best at.

I Have decided on NOD32 AV
    And Free Outpost

Is this a good combination, will the free firewall be okay with N32, does it have a nag screen for instance ?

zoo

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Xp or Vista?

3. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Outpost?Maybe this combination is enough.

4. zooburner

zooburner Registered Member

Wondows XP Pro (with all latests updates SP's)

5. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

I have been using Eset along with ZoneAlarmPro for the past 4 years without a problem. Windows XP Pro

6. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

I use NOD32 and Outpost Free FW with no problems (XP Pro).

No nag screen, but OP Free UI does include an ad to upgrade to the paid version (not as a pop-up though).

I'm quite pleased with the combo. Like you, I found Comodo got too big for my needs.

7. kriebly

kriebly Registered Member

I've also been using ZoneAlarm Pro with NOD32, on up-to-date XP for a few years. :)

My brother has the same for his Vista laptop.

For free 3rd-party firewall, people on this site seem to love the free versions of Online Armor, Comodo, and Outpost.

8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I've found that on the machines that leave the house, i.e. laptops, I need a firewall. In this case I use exclusively, OutPost. And have been for several years along w/ NOD32. I've tried other combos of both AV & FW, but always return to NOD32 & OutPost. They seem (in my case anyway) made for each other. On my Desktops, I use NOD32 w/ either no firewall (but they are behind a router) or Windows FW. OS is Win XP Pro. Where there is no FW I usually use a HIPS to monitor the outbound calls to home or whatever. I was using SSM but since have switched to Malware Defender, both do a fine job.

So If you're talking about a desktop or a laptop you have several recommendations / decisions to make.

hth

screamer

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Like many here I also use Nod32. As well I have worked with many 3rd party FW's and ALL of them could work with Nod32. Here is my list of FW's worked with the current one on top:

Outpost FW Pro 2009 ( the free version is fine but the odd ad as you might expect)
    Online Armor
    PC Tools FW Plus
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Kerio

Like you I want to manage which applications can connect out and which can't.

If you were to ask for a recommendation I would trial OP and then trial OA and use whichever you prefer on your set up.

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I use NOD32 v4 and Comodo with Defense + enabled.

11. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I tried all of them. With Nod32. Outpost does a great job and the most bug free.

One thing I didn't like is that it kindda takes 1/4 of the download speed while using Utorrent although you allow all connection .

For the rest it's pretty ok. Many pop ups though. I prefer to use the ESS . The firewall doesn't seem to be so good in the reviews. But it's for sure better then the firewall right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.