Firewall to block application to access internet?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tolanri, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolanri

tolanri Registered Member

Hi guys, I'm quite a beginner when it comes IT security. That's also why I couldn't find anything before asking this question, as I don't know suitable keyword for kind of application I am looking for.

Basically I am using Windows integrated firewall (Vista/Win7) which suits all my needs, and it only asks for permission if an application is trying to be visible on internet (case of servers, etc.).

I do not want other firewall, instead I am looking for a very simple application that would ask me (or I could just manually set up the rules) if an application is trying to access the internet. I heard it is possible to do in the Windows firewall, and I actually found the advanced firewall options, but rules didn't make a change (I actually tried block Firefox on all TDP/UTP ports, but it still could reach any website).

I use hardware firewall on my router and the integrated Win firewall. I tried installing 3rd party firewalls, including Comodo and Outpost, but I couldn't bear with them, as it seemed as huge hog on my system (when I wanted to restart Win Vista, it was stuck on logging off for 5minutes)

Thank you for assistance!

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

You can use the Vista firewall manual rules but it sounds like you just want outbound applications allowed in a simpler format. You can use the free version of Vista Firewall Control which uses the Vista API to do this.
    http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

3. tolanri

tolanri Registered Member

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for, and the fact it's just an extension for Windows firewall is even better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.