Firewall That Blocks All and Asks to Set Custom Ruleset for Allowed

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bob katz, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob katz

bob katz Registered Member

I've been looking for a new firewall ever since Comodo updated to v6. The old Comodo wasn't perfect, but it was much more usable than the new version. After reading through a lot of posts I decided to try Online Armor. OA is much more usable than Comodo v6, and it makes a great network monitor, but I can't for the life of me make it block all connections and then allow only through prompt, to compile a custom ruleset for allowed applications (similar to Comodo 5).

What's the best firewall that blocks all and asks what you want to allow, rather than allows all and asks what you want to block?

Thanks heaps, and sorry if I've overlooked something in OA.

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Tinywall does exactly what you want.
    Default deny, until you whitelist what you want to have network access.

3. bob katz

bob katz Registered Member

Thanks, Tinywall looks good. I have it running now, but it doesn't seem to prompt me to let me know when it's blocked an application or to ask me how it should treat a new application. I have "prompt for exception details" enabled. Does it not include this feature or am I doing something wrong? Cheers

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

TinyWall does not offer notifications for outbound blocked connections.

5. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yeah, you gotta know what you want to be allowed.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Look 'n' Stop is pretty configurable but last version was released in 2009.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'm using Windows Firewall Notifier. Works great, just have to run Console.exe after you choose a path to extract to. Only problem is, the last update was in April 2012.

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

For sure Outpost can do it...from user guide - "Firewall Policy"

9. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

That's easily done and answered if you'd have mentioned if you're running OA Free or Premium. But you didn't. Oh well. But OA's Help covers it in detail.

I've had mine configured that way since the Tall Emu days. I've got 102 rules governing 53 apps. Anything new pops up an Allow/Block alert with the option for once, session or to remember (create) a new rule. The latter can later be opened and tweaked.

10. guest

guest Guest

Look 'n' Stop will do exactly what you want, the way I run it; on "Internet Filtering" I have a Block All Rule and have that deactivated because I sit behind a Router with a Hard-wall Firewall in it, and use the "block all" when I install software that does not need to connect to the Internet, a lot of software seems to do this when you install it

But for Normal Blocking of Programs, etc just activate "Application Filtering" and you need to go to "Advanced Options" and activate "Enable DLL Detection"

After this anything trying to get out will cause an alert to pop up where you can give permission or not:thumb:

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Here is very good tutorial if OP is interested in LnS:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=83498
    and also additional settings to enable:
    https://safegroup.pl/firewall/dodatkowa-konfiguracja-look-n-stop-firewall-t3570.html

12. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

13. Maldoran

Maldoran Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.