Firewall suggestions to use w/ NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by alexis, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexis

alexis Registered Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good firewall to use in conjunction with NOD32 on a wireless laptop?
    I already use NOD32 on my Desktop but it is behind a router and I am using MS firewall. However, since my laptop will not be behind a router - I am wondering what a good firewall would be to hide my computer from the internet - if I put NOD32 on the laptop.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Alexis

2. ba1u

ba1u Registered Member

outpost firewall:thumb:

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

A reasonable question is why would Microsoft's Windows Firewall be not good unless there is a router ?

Any firewall will work well with ESET NOD32 .

4. alexis

alexis Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion ba1u - I'll check it out.
    Hello HiTech_boy,
    I guess I just don't trust MS's firewall.
    Thanks,
    Alexis

5. alexis

alexis Registered Member

6. alexis

alexis Registered Member

Hi,
    I could be wrong but I think a router acts as a hardware firewall (if this is wrong please correct me). I don't really think of MS firewall as being adequate. I leave it enabled on my desktop but my laptop would be much more exposed w/o the router - thus, I feel the need for a good firewall. Too bad I can't find a good free firewall.
    alexis

7. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Look n stop working very well and very light here.

8. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

PC Tools Firewall Plus 3.0 (free). Light and works well with nod32

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Of the different firewalls I have tried with Nod32, Comodo and Jetico v1 seemed to work the best. Both firewalls will initially keep you busy with a number of pop-ups/warnings. But they will settle down after their first 2-3 days of use. IIRC- Jetico remembers the rules you set better than Comodo and is a very lightweight firewall. Also, Comodo is coming out with a version 3 soon, currently in beta testing, which will have a full fledge HIPS component. As of right now I do not believe Comodo 2.4 or Jetico v1 support Vista.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Info on Comodo beta 3-

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_fir...mpatibility_current_release_date-t6927.0.html

Jetico- (v1 is free, v2 is paid)

http://www.jetico.com/

I have not tried PC Tools fw but have heard some good things about it.

10. MaverickOP

MaverickOP Registered Member

If the router has NAT (network address translation) feature then, yes, you can run without a software firewall. But only if you are sure that your particular model has NAT is it safe to do so.

I've been recommending Comodo firewall to all my customers. Recently, there was a very comprehensive test of various software firewalls and Comodo rated very highly. And no it was not done by Cnet.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Windows XP firewall is sufficient and runs light on your system. The fear expressed by many and rationalized as "layered protection" etc., that windows firewall is somehow inadequate is wrong. The idea is to keep the robber out of your house. Once he is in, he can get out. Any intruder that can get inside your computer is likely capable of disabling your firewall, AV, etc.

Focus on world-class protection such as NOD32 and the firewall is not important.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Another vote for Comodo if you want a software firewall.

13. alexis

alexis Registered Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I went with Comodo because the newest Jetico was not free and Comodo was. I put it on my desktop today and setup was easy. So far, not too many pop-ups because I did the "scan for known applications." If I am happy with this one then I will put it on my laptop.
    Thanks for all the input and answers. If I decide I don't like Comodo then Jetico is going on the laptop.
    Thanks MaverickOP for your clarification of the router question. I just discovered that I do indeed have the NAT feature on my router.
    Appreciative,
    Alexis

14. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Well ... And what's about Checkpoint products ?
    - ZA pro ?
    - ZA free ?

Best regards

15. dmcdaniel

dmcdaniel Registered Member

I definitely would not trust the Microsoft firewall alone. Not with everything targeting Microsoft products. I would say to use a 3rd party or if you want to get a hardware firewall then I would. I would recommend (for hardware) the Linksys router that includes a firewall. If you don't want a hardware firewall, I would recommend either Comodo or Zone Alarm

16. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    Yet another vote for Comodo firewall! It's free for life, has great support via a devoted community like this one and actual email support if you file a ticket, and I believe (but don't quote me on this) was rated very highly in a test. Also, it is touted as a "leakproof" firewall. Then again, ratings don't mean much to me so take it for a spin, whaddya have to lose?

Psych1610

edit: I didn't mean to post again after you had already decided, my apologies.

GO COMODO!!

17. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Since your behind a router you really only need outbound filtering,always found LnS nice and light and as good as most,less hassle to set up initially than a lot of others,you can disable internet filtering using a router

18. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I have a laptop with nod32 (2.7), use it mostly with dsl and a hardware router, but often go on the road with it, where I use wireless.

I use Jetico 1 (it's free, light, and pretty good). Actually run Jetico even while using dsl. It takes a little training, but once broken in it seems fine.

If anyone knows of specific weaknesses in Jetico 1, please speak up.

//

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.