Firewall settings

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by <DreamCatcher>, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

Hi,

Ive been using ZoneAlarm Pro for about two weeks now and I am finding it works really well with Nod32, McAfee and I barely even it notice running apart from the add program alert. Over the past few days i've been configuring and adding some rules to ZoneAlarm. While doing this I came across some extra settings that im unsure of such as;

1. Enable ARP protection Blocks all incoming ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) requests except broadcast requests for the address of the target computer. Also blocks all incoming ARP replies except those in response to outgoing ARP requests.

2. Block all fragments Blocks all incomplete (fragmented) IP data packets. Hackers sometimes create fragmented packets to bypass or disrupt network devices that read packet headers.

My first thought was to select these settings, but im not sure if they are really needed and how changes theses settings make, will affect the way my system interacts with the internet and when i sometimes use bitTorrent? I dont see any real reason why these would cause any problems, but im not totally sure.

Thanks for any advice

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,

I've been using ZoneAlarm Pro on a test basis for the past 6months and selecting those options can only help by protecting from such thing as ARP poisoning etc... It would be good choice to select them.

It wouldn't impact playing games online, using torrent clients such as ABC, Azereus, Utorrent etc..

But in the end the option is yours.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

3. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

Hi FluxGFX,

I kinda figured the same about those settings, but I just wanted to check and make sure.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.