Firewall Rulesets (Norton 2003)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tonyjl, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi, i was wondering if anybody knows where the rulesets are stored. I would like to back them up for when i do a system restore (power quest drive image 7),and also thinkin of trying norton 2005 and would like to transfer the rules if i can,save me putting them in manually as mine are custom rules not the crappy default ones they send us.

Thanks

Tonyjl

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Tonyjl

With NIS2003 you can backup the firewall.rul file in c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\. Reboot after restoring. This file only contains the firewall rules and not other program settings. This isn't supported or formally documented, but it should work. This file will not be portable across machines.

I have not seen anything about whether this works with NIS/NPF2005 or if a firewall.rul file from 2003 would work with 2005. These files are all protected in newer versions and the program alerts to changes/tampering. Not sure if doing an upgrade would transfer your current settings as I have not used any version beyond 2003.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. SvS

SvS Security Expert

I doubt that a firewall.rul file from NIS 2003 will work with NIS 2005. Newer versions of NIS (2004/2005) allow to retain the existing settings on reinstall (i.e. during uninstallation you're asked if you want to keep your current settings) but last time I checked these saved settings would not survive the installation of a new version.

4. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Thanks for the replys guys,will try that.

Thanks

Tonyjl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.