Firewall rules merge wizard/Rules editor

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by mlynchit, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlynchit

mlynchit Registered Member

First of all - Firewall Rules merge wizard is NOT what I presummed it would be.

My issues with the merge wizard are:
    - Collecting the learnt rules from several clients generates a whole bunch of duplicate rules. That to me is not the meaning of 'Merge'
    - The policy xml file that the wizard generates does not include the zones or application/browsers that have been collected by the clients.
    - To create a suitable firewall policy, I had to directly import the 'configuration' from a client that had been in learning mode. And after import that configuration, I had to unmark all the settings I didn't need in my firewall policy.

Rules editor:
    - Default rule for an application is Allow?
    - Learnt rules restrict discovered communications, but make no restrictions on communications that were not made??
    i.e A sample from the rules editor for a policy imported from a learnt client (Application tree mode):
    Code:
    ========================================
                            Trusted In     Trusted Out     Internet In    Internet Out
    wmipvrse.exe            allow           specific            allow            allow
    Rule created by learning:                  allow
    Rule created by learning(2):               allow
    ========================================
    (Note: The duplicate rule)

What does that mean?
    wmiprvse is open to the world, but lets just make it clear that it is allowed to communicate with the local network??

What am I missing here. There must be a simpler way to acheive a firewall policy for my small network.

TIA
    Michael.

2. mlynchit

mlynchit Registered Member

No explination?

The merge wizard is perhaps simply an after thought... sort of a sideshow feature?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.