Firewall question.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Roberteyewhy, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Can the firewall do a temporary rule? Does it specify single port/IP addresss access or is it just allow or deny all for whatever application wants Internet access?

This is what I mean. Tiny pops up a Connection Alert for Firefox on port 80 with a single IP address first then for port 443 with a single IP address when I come here. However, one can change both to "All IP address". Thus, I am not constantly being asked by Tiny when I go to another IP address on port 80 or 443.

Like this:

1) Click in the "Apply until Application ends". Tiny will remember this on ALL subsequent alerts for anything that wants Internet access until you change it.
    2) Click on the "Modify This Rule".
    3) Click in the "All addresses".
    4) Hit "OK".
    5) Click on "Allow".

Seems tedious but in reality, it only takes a second.

I have no permanent rules for my software aside from NOD32 and BoClean. Every app MUST ask before it can have Internet access...every time!

Tiny/CA HIPS is currently not Vista compatible.

Thanks,
    Robert

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Hi Robert,

Yes that would be great.

And I wished the Eset programmers had a closer look at TPF2005 firewall configuration screens and functions... something I recommended months ago.

Ciao
    Itsme

3. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Thanks, Itsme.

Yeah, to bad Eset did not take some of the immense features within Tiny and incorporate it into their firewall. Just wanted what I posted and maybe a log viewer similiar to Tiny's Activity Monitor where the user can just right click and make a rule from within it.

I posted this on Kaspersky Beta forums. Hopefully, they will implement it on version 8.

Will wait and hope that CA does a good job with Tiny/CA HIPS and Vista. I prefer a standalone firewall, anti-virus (NOD32) and anti-trojan (Comodo BoClean) anyway.

Aloha,
    Robert

P.S. We sure did a good job when we beta tested Tiny eh.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.