Firewall question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Uroboros, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uroboros

Uroboros Registered Member

OK..I'm wondering something. Currently my system is behind a router with Network Address Translation (NAT) and Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI). Using NOD32 as my anti-virus program and I'm running RegRun Platinum.

Do I need a traditional software firewall to deal with outbound traffic or is there something else I could run to handle that role?

Was using LNS for a while. But my list of programs was started to get full forcing me to delete entries. Beyond that I wasn't having any issues with it. Tried Jetico for a while; but all those pop-ups whenever I did something as simple as installing an application or an WinXP update; was annoying. Good firewall though..hopefully will get better next release. Comodo just would not work for me. Kept shutting itself down for some reason. Obviously doesn't like something about my setup.

How about something along the lines of Prevx1?

TIA

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I believe you should have control of what applications are allowed network access, you may like to take a look at AppDefend, which will give you the basic control of allow/block network access. They do currently have an "Alpha" version in testing, which by reports will take this further to introduce the filtering of traffic preview

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Uroboros,

The obvious strategy to choose (since most applications require it for installation) is to shutdown all applications and disconnect from the network when installing new software - and then reboot (not always required depending on the software installed).

That's easy for me to do with a dialup, and probably an annoyance for anyone with your setup with a NAT and SPI router.

I do use Prevx1R.

-- Tom

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.