Firewall - PC Tools and W 7 firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JerryM, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am getting a new computer soon. Although I usually run a suite, I have Avast free and PC Tools Firewall Plus on the laptop. The OS is XP.

How does the Windows 7 firewall compare with some others like PC Tools firewall? Is it adequate when one is behind a router? Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

Re: Firewall - PC Tools and W 7 firrewall

I was in your situation not long ago. Don't have any experience with the W 7 firewall, although I have seen it on several machines and it is better than XP. Probably adequate behind a router with proper configuration. I don't know if I could be satisfied with it, but many folks more knowledgeable are. I like the warm and fuzzy from a consistently respected third party vendor.

I have used PC Tools. I didn't have the first problem with it, although some said it was buggy. It does have HIPS, whereas W 7 does not. I used PC Tools on an XP 32 bit; don't know how would be on a Windows 7X64.

3. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Others on this forum can give you a more technical answer than I can, but based on everything I have read, and the experiments I have conducted, the Avast/PCTools Firewall combination is an excellent one. Avast has a lot of great features, and the PCT firewall HIPS is an excellent feature on the PCT firewall which scores 100% in Matousec tests.

Have you made sure the firewall is turned on on your router? When I got mine, I had it a while before I realized the default setting was with the firewall off.

The problem I had with the Windows 7 firewall is that I don't know enough about firewalls to configure the way I would want it to function.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Avast and Pctools are a great combo. As long as avast isn't slowing down your browsing. Some folks have had issues with the web shield. Avast detection is good as well. PCtools firewall is very user friendly. It has a good whitelist and has "smart updates" to add to them. It doens't throw alot of alerts at you either.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi chinook,
    Yes the router firewall is turned on.

I have been using the PC Tools firewall and Avast home for a week or so on the laptop, and today installe both on my desktop.

I have almost decided to use that combination on my new computer, although the Avira Premium Suite runs well also. I tend to like suites. Either runs well alongside MBAM.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.