Firewall or HIPS for Vista - And Which?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hangetsu, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Hello all!

I'm building a new machine tomorrow that I plan to load Vista Home Premium on. As part of that, I'm trying to decide what security software to drop on it.

My XP machine uses KIS 6, but given there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out (there's open issues on their boards regarding file copying issues and open ports), and since the Vista firewall is *somewhat* better and that I have a NAT router, I'm wondering if I'd be better served with a HIPS software.

I'm looking for something with a small footprint, that uses minimal services. It should also complement NOD32, which I plan to use for AV. I'd also prefer something that's been around a bit (doesn't have to be big, just respected)

Does anyone know / recommend any HIPS or firewall s/w that works well in Vista? Do I need separate anti-spyware/malware/rootkit software with such a configuration? I'm a fairly safe surfer, using my PC primarily for news, iTunes, gaming, and connecting to work.

Oh, and I should note I'm happy paying for the software -- I'm not rich by any means, but approx. $100 for my peace of mind seems reasonable :D

Thanks in advance!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You could try the beta for Jetico Firewall v2.

the only HIPS i know that works in Vista, is the Prevx beta (check their forum).

3. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Ick. I'd really like to avoid beta software (this will be my main system).

What about Spysweeper? Have they improved their footprint (it used to be a hog)? I know its not HIPS, but with a new system, would NOD32, <insert anti spy/mal/root here>, and the Vista firewall be enough?

I'm trying to keep the utilization low for gaming.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im youre concerned with performance, then just keep NOD32 and the Windows Firewall realtime and your "anti spy/mal/root" as ondemand.

I dont know about Spy Sweeper, but you can use SUPERAntiSpyware which works great in Vista.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I haven't tried it but according to Novatix's website, Cyberhawk works on all these including Vista.

Minimum System Requirements (Windows 32-bit only):

* Windows Vista, Windows XP SP1 or SP2 (Home, Pro & Media Center Editions), Windows 2000 SP 4 with Update Rollup 1, or Windows 2003

As far as Prevx1 for vista, go here.

dja2k

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

On my Vista machine I use Vista FireWall Control. It works alright, and you can always use it if you are waiting for a specific vendor to release a Vista ready firewall.

7. JeffBuck

JeffBuck Registered Member

I can add these:

- Sandboxie works good on Windows Vista (but not x64).

- GesWall (but it's a beta)

- System Safety Monitor 2.4.0 beta 617 support Vista
    (KNOWN ISSUE: Fast User Switching is not supported on Windows Vista.)

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Geswall doesn't work on Vista 64 and System Safety is just experimental with Vista support, as the author writes on his website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.