Firewall: Multiple entries for the same application

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by jmc777, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

I've noticed that ESS creates seperate entries in the application list for an individual application, depending on whether you create it manually or from the interactive mode pop-up.

I created the following rule manually by entering it in the 'Zone and rule setup' section of ESS. Make a note of the filepath.

p981741-1-capturevd8.jpg

Then I opened up iTunes and interactive mode popped up because iTunes wanted to use UDP port 5353 for library sharing, so I created the following rule.

p981741-2-capture2ip1.jpg

You would think that this new rule would be tucked away neatly beside the 'iTMS' rule I manually created? But no, it has its rule added under a new 'iTunes' entry.

p981741-3-capture3vc0.jpg

ESS seems to create different application entries because when you create a rule manually it sees the filepath as C:\, but when you use the interactive mode pop-up it sees the filepath as c:\

I know it's only a minor thing, but for the sake of neatness it'd be nice if every rule created for a particular applictation remained under a single application entry.

I hope this has made sense to everyone reading. o_O

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

Due to family circumstances I am not able to beta-test.
    But a few comments (although I leave it further up to the firewall experts ;)).

I for myself would only be very (!!!) happy if I am able to make more than one rule for the same program.
    On my old Win98SE machine that's exactly what I've done for my old much beloved AtGuard.

(Whether the character "c" is there in upper or lower, maybe only a minor thingie.)

3. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

You can. :) I'm guessing my initial post was somewhat confusing. :( I'll try again....

I made these 2 rules for IE using the firewall's interactive mode pop-up; see how both rules sit neatly under the 'Internet Explorer' application name?

p982004-1-neatpk8.jpg

After deleting those rules, I re-created the 'Port 80' rule using the interactive mode pop-up, and then re-created the 'Port 443' rule manually buy adding it to 'Zones and rules'. See what happens now?

p982004-2-messyzj3.jpg

Instead of adding the 'Port 443' rule next to the 'Port 80' rule (like in the first screenshot) it adds it to a new 'Internet Explorer' entry. It's messy.

4. Meister

Meister Registered Member

Yes, this happens to me too. ESS doesn't group entries if you add them manually. A bug to be fixed :)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It will be fixed in the next beta. Thank you for reporting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.