Firewall module 1044, after full upgrade back to 1040!?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by miki69, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Hi,

don't know if you have noticed this but when I have installed ESS v4 my firewall module was 1044, after full upgrade (enter username/password), ESET has downloaded additional 22MB, but now my firewall module version is 1040, from early beta days, and of course all these connection issues are back. If I don't upgrade (leave it as a trial), everything works ok.

Any thoughts?

BR
    Miki

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Be sure to have unchecked the test mode option, F5 - updates - advance update settings. Providing you had enabled this option, uncheck it and run updates again, it will download 1044 back.

3. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

funny thing is, it was quite opposite :). Test mode was not enabled by default, but when I enabled it firewall module was "updated" back to 1044.

Thanks mate.

PS. and my internet connection is back on track again!!

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

It begs the question.
    Have ESET built Ver4 from the wrong code base ??

5. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

My thoughts exactly! I think the ESET is redirecting "upgrade" to BETA version for unknown reason (maybe not all modules, but definitely Firewall module). And they definitely need to polish this Test mode (whatever that is), as in my case it was disabled by default, but enabling it:
    1) firewall module gets update to 1044, so I can use it with "Automatic" settings
    2) no more internet connection cut-off, so my utorrent is working again (no more DHT waiting to log in, even in Interactive mode with 1040)

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

7. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

You're right, quite strange!? I think ESET should polish this as I said before. For me, I had to enable it to get my connection working and to update to firewall module 1044. The funny thing is when I first installed ESS v4 my firewall module was 1044, but then with "upgrade to full version" it went back to 1040 (even though TEST mode was OFF), so I had to enable test mode to get it back to 1044. So, now test mode is ON and everything is working. Weird, huh?

BR
    Miki

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Am i right guessing you have trialed the v4 at first with following upgrade on the full version? If so, it might be a culprit. I have installed the full version already (having a valid licence) and still have 1044 with disabled the test mode and not going to check it until clarification from Eset.

9. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

That's correct. From trial to full version.
    I was just saying that this was the only way for me to make everything work. If it already works for you don't change anything, "if it works don't fix" :)
    Now it works for both of us with quite opposite test mode settings :D

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The trial version of ESS is exactly same as the full version, you merely replace the username and password when upgrading to the full version. Please provide us with step-by-step instructions how to replicate the issue, including the full url to the trial version you downloaded.

11. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Well I guess it's pretty straight forward. I have downloaded version from http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php (purchased version, had to type username before download), then installed it (without entering my username details, setup later choice I think). So I had trial version up and running (for 31 days, which went down to 30 days as soon as signature update was updated). I noticed, I had to trigger update manually several times (10+), as it said I have updated version (while I actually had signature update from FEB 6th I think, the one that came with installation file). Then I entered my username/password, update said something like 22MB, and when it was done my firewall module was back to 1040 (with internet connection problems). So I had to enable test mode, then it was updating again 22MB and firewall module was back to 1044 and everything working.

"The trial version of ESS is exactly same as the full version" - then why there's an "update" of 22MB after I have entered my details? This is something I don't understand either. Everything was updated to the latest version (signature was up-to-date) yet update was updating all over again (twice!)

Cheers,
    Miki

12. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Pegas, you're right. I installed ESS v4 (again) but this time I have entered username/password during installation process. So my firewall module was 1044 and test mode OFF, and no internet connection problems. Installation worked as it should, without back and forth firewall module updates. I also checked ESET recommendation that username should be entered during install, as entering later causes all those problems (mentioned above).

BR
    Miki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.