firewall log

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stratoc, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

not very clear it says 'detected covert channel exploit in icmp packet'

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

my internet, slowly ground to a halt shortly afterwards. i flushed dns, reset winsock and power cycled the router all seems back to normal now. also manually cleaned every hidden file from the last internet security program i was running. seems ok now.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i emailed eset support, just to ask what the message in the log meant. thier reply was try upgrading to v4 :argh: so i guess they don't know either:blink:

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling detection of covert data in ICMP in the IDS section of the firewall setup make a difference?

6. stratoc

stratoc Guest

hi marcos i just wanted to know what it was, as i wanted to know what dns poisoning was there is nothing in help to explain what the logs mean, if it's not possible to find out why does it write them?
    is it telling me there's a problem, is it telling me it's done it's job? do i need to perform any actions?
    what does it mean, i have been asking this since smart was released.

7. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I am sorry.The picture can't be seen clearly.What did it say?I only can know it is ICMP.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

yeah sorry i typed it in post number 2

9. cqpreson

Thank you:D .Firewall said "detected covert channel exploit in icmp packet".In my view,those ICMP packets are used to pry your ports.Maybe someone is pinging you to know if your computer exists.

10. stratoc

stratoc Guest

so it stopped them then? well if it's just doing it's job that's good, thing is im behind a router, and im not positive but i think the from address belongs to it? i havnt had any since, thanks for your help.
    i just like to know what's going on and how things work.

11. cqpreson

You're welcome.Firewall worked well.It finished its own thing very well,blocking this kind of pcakets is right.This kind of packets be sent to your computer,and then your computer replyed.The person who sent the packets can know that your computer on the Internet:) .

12. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it's ground to a halt again, had to do a restore pre new firewall. looks like updates are frozen.
    one thing i noticed, i have ask before updating componamts checked.... and it didnt!

13. Marcos

That's because no PCU has been issued for v4 yet. A PCU to v. 3.0.684 for v3 users is being staggered and distributed to v3 users with older versions gradually.

Unlike PCU, program modules (such as archive module, adv. heuristics module, etc.) are updated automatically along with standard signature updates. If you want to be prompted before downloading updates, enable the appropriate option in the update setup of v4 and specify the file size limit when the program will prompt you first.

14. cqpreson

Excuse me.What's the meaning of the word "PCU".Sorry,I don't know this abbreviation's meaning:( .

15. Marcos

PCU stands for Program component update. A PCU updates all program files, including helps and other documentation bundled with installers.

16. cqpreson

Ok,I got it.Thank you very much.

17. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i get it, thanks.

18. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it's updated to 1048 and has 14 'incorrect tcp check sum' in log! wonder what's next? different message each version!

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.