Firewall log question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by gberns, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Since I installed V4 the firewall log shows about a dozen incidents per day of "Detected covert channel exploit in icmp packet" which seem to be originating with my computer. I used Eset's online scan in case I had been infiltrated in some way and came up clean.

What does this mean?

2. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Further information: This is a home computer connecting to the internet through a cable modem. No routers, etc. Have read old posts but don't understand as they all seem to refer to network situations.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi,

I have only seen this alert when using a 3rd party tool for sending outbound ICMP(pings). I was thinking it is an interception of a program attempting to access the system to use ICMP but have not taken time to fully check further to see I can get the alert for other reasons.

Do you have any 3rd party programs running that may be using ICMP?

- Stem

4. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't even know what ICMP is or are and therefore can't answer your question. Read Wickpedia and I am not sure I was even reading English and that's my native language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.