Firewall Log: Incorrect IP packet checksum

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by lhookway, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lhookway

lhookway Registered Member

Hello there,

ESET Smart Security V4.0.474.0.

Periodically in my ESET Firewall log I see "Incorrect IP packet checksum" entries logged.

My system runs fine but the presence of there entries is annoying since they don't seem to pinpoint a cause or offer any insight into how to correct the problem.

I suspect that these sporadic "Incorrect IP packet checksum" entries in the log are benign. If this is the case then is there a way to disable the logging of "Incorrect IP packet checksum" events entirely.

Failing that is there anything I can do to determine what is causing ESET to catch these events. If I can find the cause then perhaps I can find the solution.

Regards,

Laurence.

Attached Files:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. lhookway

Thanks for the reply Cudni.

The link you provided says...

If this isn't an error as such then why would ESET log an entry in the event log? It certainly looks like an error doesn't it.

At the very least maybe ESET should have an option to either enable or disable the Logging of incorrect IP packet checksum events. That way users could choose whether or not they want this particular type of event logged.

To further troubleshoot this issue I have temporarily disabled task offloading for IP on my system by running netsh interface ip set global taskoffload=disabled

I will see if this stops "Incorrect IP packet checksum" events from being logged in the ESET firewall log.

Regards,

Laurence.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you tunelling IPv6 traffic over IPv4? (Toredo, 6to4 pseudo interface,...)

5. lhookway

Thanks for the reply.

I don't use IPv6, I have it disabled on all network connections.

Incidentally disabling task offloading via netsh interface ip set global taskoffload=disabled did not make any difference. I am still seeing "Incorrect IP packet checksum" events" being logged in the ESET Firewall log.

Regards,

Laurence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.