firewall like outpost pro, and sandbox like tiny, and it's freeware easy to use

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by testsoso, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

"firewall like outpost pro, and sandbox like tiny, and it's freeware easy to use. " this is a statement which i found in a german security website: bluemerlin.de Does any one tried the eeye blink freeware firewall, and can share some experiens? Thanks!

2. dholiday

dholiday Registered Member

See: Endpoint Security's Blink® Neighborhood Watch™ Edition

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

So has anyone tried Blink Neighbor Watch Edition? It's the free version of Blink Firewall Personal. If so, how about a review of the latest version? It looks interesting.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Interesting, i have used the old personal edition version but found it too heavy for my likeing, i'll have to check this new one out.

6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey farmerlee, I installed Neighborhood Watch last night and checked it out. I liked it, but hopefully you can give a more detailed description of it here, and more about what all it covers ect... I will comment on a few things thought. It installed, and uninstalled without needing to reboot, and with no problems. The installation takes a little bit longer than other programs to run itself and complete, but nothing too lengthy. After install it asks for some personal info like name, phone number, city , state, and even address. I put none in a few of them and it worked. It also had some pop ups early on to allow or deny a few programs for internet access, and if you didn't make a decision it would simply go to default. It was easy to read what these were, and I hit allowed for all of them. I had to use ADD/REMOVE Programs to uninstall it as it has no uninstall of it's own. And after I did it took me to their website to complete a survey if I wanted too, but didn't. It left a program folder and a couple of registry items behind, but they all deleted with no problem. As far as the short time it was installed, it seemed fine. It did use a lot of memory though with I think 4 processes running over 50MB total. The Interface was clean looking with different sections you had to click on to get to a particular feature. Firewall, HIPS, ect... Once there, it listed things that had to do with that particular feature, and again you had to click on various items to see something. For example with the Firewall it was to see what programs had been allowed, or the Logs and so on. It just seemed a little cut up for my tastes, but understanding it wasn't too hard. I would perhaps install it again though, if it proved to offer better RealTime protection than my AVG Firewall, and Cyberhawk. Hopefully you can offer more critique on it's technical side, and elaborate more on it's features. I'm looking forward to your evalution, as i know mine wasn't too informative. LOL. Thanks farmerlee.

7. gagman

gagman Registered Member

Have just installed Blink Neighborhood watch.

First thing : good GUI
    Second : memory consuming (as saif before, about 50 MB)
    Third : for the FW, two level of protection, one for application and one for system.
    Fourth point : .... I didn't manage to receive only one log !!!! Maybe this is because I have done no reboot (no need to reboot to install the soft).

Will do more tests, look promising.

EDIT : after reboot, log is OK.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.