Firewall in AVG Internet Security

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Green Giant, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I see from 'Shields Up' at www.grc.com that Ports 13 and 37 are Open when using the firewall which comes with AVG Internet Security. Detailed steps to block (but not stealth?) these two service ports from AVG only resulted in access to the Internet being stopped. I had to delete the new Rule just made to restore access. I then tried Windows XP Firewall, after disabling the AVG one and as well as Ports 13 and 37, Port 123 was Open, so I stopped the scan and reverted to AVG Firewall.

I have read that Commodo and Look 'n' Stop do not coexist with AVG.

Is there any firewall, paid-for or free, which will work with AVG Internet Security and stealth all service ports please?

2. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

the free firewalls available for windows are mostly
    kerio sunbelt personal firewall
    zonealarm

you can try one of them, to see what happens.

otherwise, in all honestly, avg is really poor. throw it out the window and get a combined av/fw product from eset or kaspersky

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Or if you already spent money on the Internet Security Suite, you can actually download the Suite exe from the Grisoft website and by clicking on it to go about as if you were installing AVG ISS again you can uninstall the Firewall from the Security Suite by selecting the Custom Install option by simply unchecking the firewall section. I use the AVG AV from the suite with Comodo Pro 3.0 and BOClean instead of the AVG FW and the Antispyware Component that also comes with it. PC Tools Firewall may be a good choice to use with AVG AV. I used it and they ran very well together.

4. Green Giant

Thanks for your replies ethernal and Woodward!

5. Green Giant

I have just received by e-mail from AVG Technical Support, a zipped diagnostic and debugging tool. Having run this file, I am delighted to report that all service ports are now shown as fully stealthed by Steve Gibson's 'Shields Up' test at www.grc.com.

6. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

i fail the test at grc.com :rolleyes: :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.