Firewall in 3.0

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by stride000, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stride000

stride000 Registered Member

Hi there,

This may be way ahead of time for an answer but i risk it anyway.

Does someone already know how the firewall in version 3.0 will compare to Outpost? Will it be as good, will it be better?

Thanks!

Stride

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The details of the upcoming Eset suite are scarce at this time
    I guess we are 2 months away from the public betas ;)
    Wait for Marcos and others Eset mods ;)

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is too early . :)

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say theres no way its going to be comparable to outpost 4 if its an in house job.

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I agree with your statement but possibly in a different way.

Cheers :)

6. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

I bet there will be a big 3.0 hype as soon as the new admin console/server has been released finally, and XMON 2.7 has been released too...

7. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

At this point in time Do you think people should wait for the new release at some time in the future or should they update the firewall they are using. I use ZoneAlarm. Lets face it with ZA who knows what might happen.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you're happy with ZA then by all means renew it, otherwise comodo is a great free alternative. I'm not holding my breath over NOD32 v3 thats for sure, i'm guessing its a long way off.

9. henryg

henryg Registered Member

If ESET could release a firewall based on the same engineering principles as they have in NOD32....I would then say that there is no need to look elsewhere. I'm sure it would be very advanced and effective piece of software.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

antivirus and firewall are very different fields so it might not.
    i wish companies could stay just making one product but the market is changing so rapidly changing now that they cant.
    lodore

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wonder if Eset will consider a stand alone firewall as well. I use NOD32 but don't like suites. I like the freedom to change off without losing the whole thing. I will always keep NOD32. :D

12. extratime

extratime Registered Member

I agree with farmerlee.

I suspect it's going to be a few months before we see NOD 3.0. Try out Comodo to see if it works for you. If not then I guess you can always renew ZA.

13. Kostan

Kostan Registered Member

Hi all,
    I agree with lodore, twl845 and farmerlee in that another thing fighting viruses which Eset knows well and I believe is one of the 4 top in the antivirus market and another building a security suite.

I wish Eset every success in its endeavour but I do hope they have a separate antivirus product.;)

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, I wish them luck too but any sign of it? It's about one year since they firstly announced it and nothing. :doubt: :cautious:

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Be patient , Pykko , just be patient . I am sure that we'll have marvelous product(s) to use despite the waiting period ;) :thumb:

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Extratime - I do use Comodo with my NOD32 and they work great together.
    Sorry to say, I'll never go back to ZA. :cool:

17. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I think I'm gonna go with the suite - I'm getting tired of the layered approach which I've been using for years. Maybe I just need something new to tweak, don't know..

18. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I am :p :D I think that too. ;)

19. Woody777

I think I may go with a suite also. Obviously this would make my life simpler. Only one app to worry about. Personally in my time in the industrial sector I have often seen products announced that never came to market. Sometimes companies simply cannot do what they intend or would like to do. NOD32 is a world class antivirus but I am afraid for them. I feel that more & more customers are simply going to use suites & Single ended antivirus systems will go the way of the buggy or become used in specialty markets. At this time almost everyone in the security business has a suite based product in their line. I have often wondered why Eset simply did not license a decent firewall form someone & put a suite on the market. It probably takes years to make a decent firewall from scratch & I can see why they are having trouble developing one that will do what they & their customers expect. I certainly wish them the best of luck & hope it comes to market soon.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Actually I have seen many people on the forums switching back to stand alone apps. Myself included. To make a long story short, suites are great, but if certain modes start screwing up or you don't need certain modes, you start disabling them and installing standalones to compensate. If you have stand alone apps you are more flexible and can uninstall or install different brands at will. :D

21. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. You must remember that most people who use Wilder's are computer savvy or are on their way to becoming more knowledgeable. Having said that, the majority of people buy a packaged computer system and go home and fire it up for their kids school projects. They could care less about ram, vid card, etc., they just want it to work. That's why security suites are popular, and Symantec and McAfee lead the pack. They offer excellent protection for the majority of consumers who don't want to mess with all kinds of settings. Set it on auto update, and auto scan and you're good to go. Now I'm sure that Nod will introduce a very good firewall because of their antivirus reputation. You just have to look at the growing pains of Comodo who now have a very respected F/W and their efforts to get their antivirus working efficiently. Most people have never heard of Nod32, Kaspersky, or BitDefender, and would never put either one on their computer for that reason. I use Nod32 and Look n Stop for my protection. I like the lightness of the products. Nod uses about 23mb of ram plus 3mb for the control center and LnS uses abot 15mb of ram. Most people could care less about the ram usage, they don't online game, they just surf. I can also state that my LnS setup has never stopped a leak test (PC Flank) and I am unconcerned about that, and on an advanced port scan, sometimes a port (maybe two) will be in closed mode and I am unconcerned about that as well. I still believe I have a very effective setup. Again, most people just want a set and forget setup and Symantec and McAfee offer a very effective suite. But for the majority of Wilder's users, probably not.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Buzzstone - You are correct IMO. However, I think the new computer users of today are learning much faster than the new users of say 1998. While there are folks who only want to do e-mail and surf, I think the rest eventually get interested enough to where they start to evolve into savvy users. Some people like myself, start frequenting forums and picking up information about stuff they never would otherwise get. That sparks enthusiasm because they see other people who use things to make their computer experience better and they want to try it. Speaking of NOD32, I never heard of it and searched the web for a better AV for quite a long time. Then after reading posts from people who were raving about it I checked it out. Now that I have used it for a while, I can't imagine using anything else. The same thing applies to my firewall. I never would have considered Comodo if I hadn't seen info on it in the forums.
    So getting back to suites, I think that eventually alot of people start to realize that stand alones are the way to go and dump the suites. The question is, what's the ratio between newbies and savvy users. I think that the newer users will out number the more savvy users as far as buying software is concerned for quite a while yet. There are still alot of families out there who don't have a computer yet, but just like TV in the late 1940s and early 1950s, pretty soon everybody will be a techi. :D

23. Woody777

Ok I Kept the separate Nod 32 & upgraded Zone Alarm. The combo works wonderfully probably better than ever. Last summer when I purchased a new computer it came with Mcafee suite that worked well also. I got rid of it because I already licenses for several other apps that did the same thing and I would have had to buy Mcafee. Any one who buys a computer today or purchases a security package will get someones suite. Probably Zone Alarm Mcafee or Norton. Its just a fact of life. I also tried to convince a relative to use Nod32. She checked it out was impressed & still bought Norton & of course got hit with a trojan which Norton did not detect. She still uses Norton. Nod32 is not well known & if you mention the name to someone who sells in the stores in our area you get a blank look. That being said I think that even if Nod32 did bring out a suite I would be doubtful that it would actually improve performance over what I now have. It would just be easier to use & update.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The first thing I do when I set up a new computer for a family member, is uninstall the McAfee or Norton before it has a chance to infiltrate the system.

25. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

We are on the same page twl845. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.