Firewall/HIPS With Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chinook9, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Looking for a firewall/HIPS that is compatible with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013.

This is for my wife's laptop. I had Online Armor on it, but the laptop seemed to really bog down with OA and BD running.

We also use Sandboxie for all browsing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

you could try Comodo Firewall
    i used BDAV 2013 and Comod FW and didn't face any problems.

recommended steps
    1)Scan your PC using BDAV to make sure there are absolutely no infections or unwanted programs in your PC
    2)uninstall your existing Firewall
    3)Install Comodo Firewall.
    4)Switch Comodo FW and HIPS to "Training Mode", and check "Create rules for safe applications"
    5)Run rating scan from Comodo FW and allow/disallow executables
    6)Keep the FW and HIPS in training mode for 1 hour
    7)Switch Firewall and HIPS to "Safe Mode"

these steps would allow Comodo FW to become completely acquainted with your PC and allow you to run BDAV 2013 without any hitch

3. chinook9

Vectorfool, Thanks for the recommendations. I have used Comodo for years and presently have it on my netbook. I may go ahead and try it.

The laptop I'm working on is my wife's Dell. Its an Intel i5 Win 7 but its quite slow and I am going to try and speed it up before I add a firewall.

Thanks again.

Also, anyone use PrivateFirewall with BD Plus?

4. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

chinook9:
    I've been thinking of using OA as a firewall myself, and sorry to hear it slows things down for you.

Any guess / impressions as to why? Some sort of conflict?

- cheers
    feandur

5. guest

guest Guest

Your wife really doesn't need an HIPS, using Sandboxie will negate almost all infections without annoying her with popups.

6. chinook9

Do not be afraid to use OA. My wife's PC is a Dell laptop and there is something seriously wrong on there. It is amazingly slow for an i5 Win 7 machine and I'm just trying to do everything I can to speed it up.

She had Panda Cloud/Online Armor on there for a long time and never complained but I'm at the stage that I'm just experimenting to see if there is anything I can do to speed it up.

As other posters have mentioned, with Sandboxie and BD she really doesn't need a HIPS, but I'd like the security in the event that she does something that could still get the machine crapped up.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'd suggest go with Win 7 own FW. No need to give your wife more worries with the hips. She's safe with sbie and BD already. Good luck. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.