Firewall for Notebooks

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lekei, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lekei

lekei Registered Member

Actually, KPF is a decent firewall but it has no concept of zones per SSID.

It is also in the moderate overhead (10-20MB RAM) range.

It has the additional restriction that the free version will disable all networking functions after 30 days.

2. lekei

lekei Registered Member

Actually, what you really want to check are page faults and memory faults. OS Swapouts of memory for obscenely hungry applications don'r show as CPU usage. Turn on PFs on task manager to get the real picture.
    Which is why I suggested that BSSID is better. SSID is more useful than IP address, but many firewalls filter on IP.

The firewall should clamp down any time it sees an SSID of lynksys, default, wlan, etc. and only allow particular, specified ssids to be trusted, and only if protected by WAP/WEP. It should also use the BSSID to prevent spoofing.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

since we're talking about a firewall for laptops, has anyone used zonealarm wireless security? any opinions?

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I didn't try it, but doesn't ZoneAlarm Pro (the regular) has options for wireless security too? Or am I wrong (never used wireless networks...)

Attached Files:

5. lekei

lekei Registered Member

These settings have nothing to do with wireless networks.

Zone Alarm is not a good choice for a notebook because it differentiates trusted zone by IP address. This is somewhat usefully if you set YOUR network to 192.168.75.1 for example, since most routers are 192.168.0-3.1, but you really want to have your settings such that a particular SSID-BSSID is required.

It's amazing that I have yet to find any such utility that I can recommend to my clients!

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Do you need a firewall for more than one laptop?

If so, consider a central managed system, with decent password protection. Checkpoint (ZoneAlarm), Sygate, Outpost Office, Netop. It has to be possible to have it use different policies for the LAN, internet, Wifi settings.

7. lekei

lekei Registered Member

Remember that one requirement of a firewall is low resources.
    My experience with zone alarm is that the system drain is worse than half of the threats out there.

8. lekei

lekei Registered Member

I am looking for a firewall to recommend or sell for computers I service. The other problem is that most firewalls prompt users for every little change... sounds like a good idea but most users answer one wrong... I just got back from a service call this afternoon where the client killed her computer because after a windows update the firewall prompted her and she answered wrong.

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Black Ice is a popular choice in the corporate environment as after it has done it's initial baseline it only alerts for intrusions or if you install a new app. In the corporate environment PCs / laptops are often tightly locked down so the end user can't add new programs - hence there are very few application alerts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.