firewall for grandparents?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firzen771, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Have you read Matousec? As in, really read, instead of just looking at the neat table of results and then trying to pretend you're smart and educated?

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Concentrate and stay on track-I pointed out to you the serious limitations of using these leaktests- as you do continuously,for making an overall judgement of a firewall.

Re-read the Matousec qualifier and think about it!

3. Hairy Coo

Blush-blush-gee thanks Solcroft-gotta agree with you :D

Actually,to get back on track,the solution you mentioned does seem all thats necessary!

I also cant see why grandparents or anyone else over a certain age ,are supposed to be brain dead.

By the look of it this applies more to the much younger.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I disagree as a Grandfather myself. I installed CFP v3 briefly, and IMO it's too much to deal with unless your Grand parents are a little FW savvy. I am checking out online Armor and I think their free version is just the ticket sonny.;)

5. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Windows firewall. They don't want a bunch of popups & they do want to just be able to use their computer & read their Email.

6. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Comodo is good but way too confusing. Put OA in training mode for a couple of days and you will be all set. No pop ups. You can shut off the "show trusted apps" in options.

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I have a test machine for doing firewall tests,spyware tests and virus tests. I installed some known spyware and Windows firewall did nothing to warn me of outgoing programs. ZA,OA,Comodo all did. Also a hardware firewall stops inbounds. Like the one on my 2Wire Gateway modem. Software firewall control out going programs and can aid in stopping spyware and trojans. Like the poster said it his Grandparents. You are better safe then sorry.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Peter that is not gonna help.

It should be ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

11. Peter2150

Okay, but back on topic, no bickering and try and be realistic about helping. My sense is this thread has about lived out it's usefulness.

12. solcroft

So how does being better safe than sorry involve installing spyware and virii on his grandparents' computer?

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As mentioned GhostWall.

Nothing easier.

14. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I'm finding it hilarious that there is this apparent protective instinct being evoked over the perceived vulnerability of these elderly folks.

Point in fact: These are the people who raised the people who raised you.

Point in fact: People are entitled to make their own mistakes; and probably learn more from a mistake than from a success.

Point in fact: While they may not have as much technical knowledge as you (although they might) they certainly have had the opportunity to have been exposed to more world knowledge than you.

Set them up with something reasonable, tell them the basic rules, make sure they have a backup plan, and send them out there. Damn. I'd hate to be any of your kids on my first day of daycare!

15. solcroft

I disagree completely with your post, but it made me chuckle. :D

16. Peter2150

Actually while I won't name, them I know some folks in this forum, who say they have been described as elderly, the knowledge they have gained is absolutely amazing.

I does indeed make me feel that the premise of this thread and the similiar AV one is foolish. Anyone of any age is capable of learning if they want to. If they don't nothing will help them.

17. Hairy Coo

Agree 100%-a bit patronising and meaningless also,even if I am sure it wasnt originally intended to be so.

You get a mental picture of the poor old souls asking "how do I turn this on"

As I pointed out in the AV thread,just specify in future "for inexperienced users".

The family tree is uninteresting.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  18. solcroft

Agreed. There are exceptions to every rule... I think I know who one of them is.

Peter, everyone is concerned about security, but not everyone wants to become experts. I for one am worried about my health, but that doesn't mean I want to learn to become a pharmacist or doctor or anything similar - all I want to do is to take vitamins, exercise and eat well, and that's it.

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Best inbound defence is router period followed by the excellent Windows firewall. Router is failsafe, can't be compromised or bypassed, just make sure to change the default router admin login password and turn off remote admin login for the router. Many forget to do that and their routers get compromised. For outbound there is Threatfire, its quiet enough although a bit resource hungry.

20. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

reason i made this i cause my grandparents barely know how to use a computer, so i just wanted something that wouldnt confuse them soo much that theyd have to keep calling me to help them with something..... but i think im just gonna keep em with windows firewall

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You don't need to take vitamins if you eat well. Vitamins (in the form of dietary complements) are only needed in special cases.
    (Sorry for the off-topic)

22. solcroft

Well, there you go. Shows how much I know. :D But does that mean I like falling sick? No.

Same analogy applies.

23. Peter2150

I think if you do that, and tell them not to open email attachments from Aunt Susie they will be fine. Still you'd be wise to go image their computer for them.

24. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Far from off-topic ---- Far too many eat layered security vitamins (LSV) when there is no need at all - and most of them will tell you that is why they are well.

I know the solution is supposed to be free - but I'm still voting for a Hardware Firewall Router

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Actually, you may fall sick of hypervitaminosis, which might lead to death.
    Also, in the first world (if you happen to live there), most foods already come with added vitamins (to combat the lack of variety of foods eaten)
    Vitamins are the money cow of pharmaceutical companies, like bottled water to food and drinks companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.