Firewall followers give me the low down

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Phazor, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

I havent been following the firewall circuit lately, and im thinking of upgrading to another firewall. So im asking all you firewall followers to give me the low down.

Give me some input on the following firewalls and what everybody would recommend going with. I Dont want to turn this into a My firewall is better than your firewall thread, ---- but i was looking at maybe getting some plus and minus to the firewalls that i have listed. Im currently running Kerio 2.15

LNS
    SYGATE
    OUTPOST
    KERIO
    TINY

I have or am trialing these firewalls.

My coments are.
    LNS - Great Firewall- Small FootPrint - I Find it hard to understand on the rule creations Screen, and dont know if i would be able to create a rule correctly.

SYGATE - Uses the most resources of all, I dont like that some of the screens are small and cant be maximized, and cause you to scroll back and forth. Rule creation seems some what easy.

KERIO 4.0 - Got it installed but couldnt get it set up to get on the internet, I just dont know what was going on but i couldnt get the the darn thing to work. It also seems like it took them forever (a year or 2 ?) to get a new version out and working, so i guess im leaning more towards firewalls that are stable and have in ongoing update/patch/fix policy more often. and after reading some of the comments on dlsreports, im thinking of leaving this one alone.

OUTPOST - Seems like a great firewall, takes some getting used to, uses less resources than sygate. Why cant i specify a IP address for my rules? or did i miss this somewhere?

TINY - Havent tried this one yet

So give me your thought and feelings on these firewalls, Pro/Cons.
    And as far as testing these firewalls how do you rate them.

Thanks for the help
    Phazor.

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

In my opinion I like Kerio 2.x, and LnS the best out of all of them. I also go for the complex firewalls without tons of extra features I don't use. I perfer Kerio's application control over LnS's as you can make an application criteria for a rule, which allows for highly complex configurations.

I suggest staying away from Kerio 4x completely, many of the features still don't work correctly, or allow enough control to use them correctly when enabled. Consider it beta software that they are trying to get people to buy...

3. wawadave

wawadave Registered Member

hello
    i have tried a few different firewalls.but i have settled on zone alarm. which was not in your choices. :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.