Firewall element will not work

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Palombaro, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

Previously I had trial version 551 but had the OE problem. I read that there was a fix for it in 560 so tried to get official trial version of 560 from ESET site. I installed what I thought was 560 but found that it was only 551 version.Unfortunately now the firewall element refuses to work. The error message suggests that is the result of a corrupted install so I uninstalled , rebooted and reinstalled only to find the problem repeated. Have uninstalled , cleaned registry of stray ESET bits, rebooted and re downloaded from ESET site the official ESET installer (trial) again and again the personal firewall element doesn't work. Was truly thinking about installing Smart scan but am not so sure now.

Can anybody suggest 1) what the problem with the firewall element might be 2) where I can get a trial version of 560.
    Fully intend to buy ESS but only if I can actually get it to work.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

OK all issues now resolved. Once I downloaded the trial software through UK site .They sent me a user name and password and then directed me to the standard download page. This contrasts with the US page which directed me to a download page with trial software with an embedded user name and password which just wouldn't work properly. God knows why but the firewall element wouldn't work.

For those of you who are downloading after using AVG don't do what I did and just disable AVG and prevent it from loading at reboot because for reasons I don't understand the AVG email scanner still boots up. When it does it causes major problems. It is necessary to uninstall AVG and reboot before installing ESS. An elementary mistake on my part but I'd thought I had all corners covered.

Final lesson learned by this ignoramus was to make sure you have all computers connected to local network switched on and connected to the network before installing ESS then there are no network problems.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, I have also run into the firewall issue on a reinstallation as well, so I really don't believe it is necessarily connected to some of the things you mention.

I had a working 560 ESS version that had been installed on top of the originally released 551 version. I was in the process of adjusting a number of things on this system and had uninstalled ESS - made those adjustments - then tried to reinstall. A fairly benign operation and kept running into the firewall element not being able to start.

I haven't been able to go through the various permutations (perhaps tonight), but it was not until I went back to build 551 and performed a "typical" install (this was the original combination) that success was met. At the moment I assume that it was some aspects of the custom install that I was performing was the culprit, but have not had time to verify that. The punch line - if you're seeing this behavior on a custom install, try a typical installation and reconfigure post-install under the advanced menu.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.