Firewall DNS zone doesn't work

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by IcePanther, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Firewall zones don't work in new rules

Hi,

I just installed v 4.2.35 and started to create rules for applications in the personal firewall. For instance, I created a rule to allow all Outgoing UDP traffic with external port 53 and external IP in the "DNS zone".

However, the setting seems not to be effective : The firewall, in Interactive mode, still asks me to allow or deny the connection. So the DNS Zone seems broken. Is there anyone with the same problem out here ?

I checked the DNS zone contains my DNS IPs, and that's the case, and the IP in the prompt is one of the DNS IPs.
    I also checked the rules were applied because HTTP/Loopback/etc rules work.
    I'd like not to come back to 4.0, which can't differentiate two wireless networks with the same subnet (no SSID change detection).

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Edit : Clean re-installing (after uninstalling and deleting all filesystem/registry/driver remains) didn't help.

Edit2 : "Trusted zone" did not work either, so I guess this is a global rule/zone problem.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Re: Firewall zones don't work in new rules

Yes, I experienced the same problem. I found that if I add the address of the DNS server directly within the rule, the connection is allowed without any prompts, but referencing a DNS server address indirectly within the rule via the predefined "DNS Servers" zone doesn't work.

The problem doesn't affect all zones though because I manually created a new zone called "Time Servers" to manage Internet Time updates via port 123 then created the appropriate rule for svchost.exe, referencing the "Time Servers" zone within the rule, and that works.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This issue will be addressed in a newer build of v. 4.2 that will be available shortly.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know. :)

5. IcePanther

Thank you Marcos for informing us.

I guess I'll wait for the next build then.

6. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

Thanks! You've made my day :) - I had the very same problem and couldn't get it working so I reverted to 4.0.474.

Thanks to you I now know it's not my fault :)

7. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

I'm pleased to report that ESS 4.2.40.0 solved my problem with the DNS servers zone not working and that I was able to successfully migrate from 4.0.474 to 4.2.40.

8. IcePanther

Thanks for reporting that, no_idea.

I'll try re-installing it right away.
    (I didn't really have the time to brows forums until now, and I was going to ask if it that new build solved the problem).

Edit : Seems to be fixed indeed. :thumb:

Last edited: May 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.