Firewall display in GUI didn't show all programs with internet/network connections

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by freesurfer, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

Good day,

I didn't find the culprit or a narrow set of suspect for that matter. I even forgot a screenshot. Anyway what happened was when I decided to view the Personal Firewall under Protection Status of the GUI, it only showed two items: system and ekrn.exe. The connection view wasn't changed. Even the view in the separate window showed the same thing. I immediately tried to disable/enable the network connection and the display in the Personal Firewall returned to normal (listed all programs with internet/network connections).

A list of conditions is all that I can provide:
    - The PC is running for more than 12 hours.
    - Explorer terminated (unhandled exception) several times (if you're curious, it's due to single-clicking a zero-length avi file in the browser).

Ofcourse, this is not an uncommon combination of conditions in my normal use of my PC (except the last which hardly happens since I have no need for zero-length avi files ;)) and has never resulted in the same problem.

Anyone encountered the same problem?

Regards.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Well, I am curious how this is possible (see the picture).. There must be a bug.. Downloading file for network at speed 7,77MB/sec and ESS shows no such connection..

Attached Files:

• obr.jpg
      obr.jpg
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
  3. freesurfer

Yup, there is a bug with the Personal Firewall view. Although there are two views (in the main GUI and in the separate window), the view in the main GUI is usually the first to "bug down"; but don't expect the view in the separate window to be immune.

The usual bug that I encounter is that when programs that has clearly terminated (checked w/ Process Explorer) but the view in the main GUI still showed the program, not to mention the statistics are "frozen". But when you view it in the separate window, the program is gone and the statistics are updating.

This bug is more apparent when I try to temporarily allow/deny comms several times on a program. Another bug would be that doing so doesn't necessarily allow/deny comm for that program, even if I tried to wait for it for several seconds. Doing it several times usually produces the bug and the statistics would be "frozen". The same thing would happen if I do it on the separate window.

As for the conditions that could aggravate the situation to produce the bug, I'm not certain. For one thing, I have only tried the temporary allow/deny on P2P programs (uTorrent and eMule) so I'm not sure if the high volume of active, and otherwise, connections have anything to do w/ it. Also iI probably have tried it on Windows Live Messenger, Diskeeper (service), and Apache http server, resulting w/ the same bug.

For the remedy, short of restarting your PC, I don't know but you could try to terminate the egui.exe and start it again; I can't exactly recall if I have tried it or not.

I don't know if ESET knows about this, but it highly possible that they already know (if not I hope they have read this :D).

Regards.

4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Re: Firewall display in GUI didn't show all programs with internet/network connection

ESS in Automatic: I have System and (4) .exe's (incl svchost.exe) showing but All -0-'s in the data columns. Everyone else shows numbers in some columns.

Does this mean the bug is producing a "View/Display" issue or is this a "Function / not working" issue?

5. freesurfer

It's probably just a case of "View/Display" issue, which is just a guess :(.

Have you tried comparing the view from the main GUI and the separate window? See if they show the same entries and if both are updating the statistics (ofcourse you have to have at least a program that is actively transfering data over the network/internet). Either one of the view is "malfunctioning" or both are.

Regards.

6. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Re: Firewall display in GUI didn't show all programs with internet/network connection

Thanks freesurfer - I over-reacted to all 0's seen for a long period -After I posted, one column showed a number , which proves again I have limited Firewall knowledge -

7. freesurfer

Glad to be of help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.