Firewall Blocks Internet Access

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by AaronS, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronS

AaronS Registered Member

So on the 12th of August ESET updated itself and then suddenly blocked my internet from working, at first I thought it was the modem or router so I reset those, twice, my internet connection showed as connected, I went through default Windows 7 troubleshooting and no problem was detected, I did a ping test and it worked fine, but skype, vuze, steam, chrome and firefox all fail to connect. I tried adding rules for those programs but no luck, I tried learning mode but it only seemed to allow outgoing data. Only disabling the firewall is an option at this time. It all worked fine before the 12th, I was even using chrome and skype as it changed settings which is why I thought the internet went down. I closed and re-opened ESET, that didn't help.

I've added the programs to the protocol filtering exclusions list.

Added custom rules for those programs.

Disabled rules blocking things with no applications assigned.

Only disabling it seems to work, the virus scanner works fine.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There have been no firewall module or program updates at all which could be the only ones affecting network communication.
    I'd suggest enabling blocked connections in the IDS setup, reproducing the issue and then checking the firewall log for details about the reason why the connection was blocked. You can also copy & paste the appropriate firewall log records here so that we can assist you.

3. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Similar thing has just started to happen here too, after eset downloaded this Update 7385 (20120814) only around 1 hr ago, suddenly eset blocks anything that is marked as a web browser ect, simply by un-selecting the apps or browsers they can connect again but now unfiltered /protected & without being blocked by this sad excuse of a security suite that has been plagued with issues from the start, Why ? they had a perfectly good product with version 4, at least it worked properly unlike this, whats in store in the next version, more of the same i fear

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. AaronS

AaronS Registered Member

Checked the box to log all blocked connections, then enabled the firewall, now everything works, but here is the log:

Attached Files:

• Log.txt
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  5. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Working again here after re booting the machine ,

Update: It once again is blocking everything accessing the internet, I have after doing some testing found the cause PROTOCOL FILTERING that has always been bugy for some, but until yesterday it only affected some apps and only encrypted data , but today just like yesterday everything was blocked by eset ss Protocol filtering

The only ways i can find to re gain free web access is by disabling SSL/HTTPS filtering or un selecting all entries from it's list of web &e-mail clients , which is not an ideal solution, what could of caused this ?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.