Firewall blocked attempts to Google DNS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by wat0114, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

    wat0114 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2012
    Posts:
    1,984
    Location:
    Canada
    Today I noticed in the firewall logs (using UFW set up as default deny out/in on linux) blocked attempts to remote UDP 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, port 53. I wondered what these were and found they are Google DNS IP addresses. It's odd to me this would happen given I have not utilized this service, but I suppose this could just be Google being Google, doing things without user consent.
     
  2. Minimalist

    Minimalist Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2014
    Posts:
    5,061
    Which software was trying to resolve domains through Google DNS servers?
     
  3. wat0114

    wat0114 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2012
    Posts:
    1,984
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm not sure. I don't see any application or PID in the logs, although I suspect it's Chrome browser.

    *EDIT*

    I just set UFW logging to high, so I'll check again later when I have time.
     
  4. minoka

    minoka Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2005
    Posts:
    50
    It is chrome! I tested it a couple of days ago for a user (at OP's forum) who could not access gmail using chrome, but could using other browsers.
    Neither could I until I created a udp/dns rule for google dns servers...
     
  5. wat0114

    wat0114 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2012
    Posts:
    1,984
    Location:
    Canada
    Thanks for confirming, minoka!
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.