Firefox

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ripper4, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ripper4

ripper4 Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I hope I can give the information needed to solve my problem.

The last few months I've been having a problem with SpywareBlaster not protecting my Mozilla Firefox files. For the longest time I hadn't any problems with it and then all of a sudden I pull up my SpywareBlaster software and notice none of my Mozilla Firefox files are protected. I update the software weekly and I have the 4.2 version. My Internet Explorer & Restricted Sites are always protected but not Firefox. I have to update "Enable All Protection" everyday and sometimes several times a day for Firefox to stay protected. Does anyone know what may be the problem?

Thank you.

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi and welcome, ripper. You didn't mention which version of Firefox you're using, but this is based on the assumption yours is pretty much up to date (current one is 3.5.7, although I've heard some have had problems with that and are sticking with 3.5.6 to which this also applies).

Per other threads here, the very first thing to check is to make sure that under Firefox's clear-history options, you do not have "site preferences" ticked. If it's ticked, then what gets cleaned out includes among other things any privacy/security settings for that site, such as the ones that SB sets.

Untick it, close and restart Firefox (maybe not necessary, but it'll ensure the change is effective), and re-enable all protection in SB. That should get things back to normal for you.

There are other possible causes for this problem, but it sounds like that site-preferences setting in FF is the culprit in the vast majority of cases.

3. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

I checked the area that you mentioned to see if I could stop the same problem from taking place with my version of Firefox and Site Preferences was not checked, so that is not the problem in my case with Firefox.

I have tried de-selecting the "Offline Website Data" option to see if it might fix this compatibility issue and will let you know if it does.

Also I might mention that I utilize CCleaner and I think that in the past I have found some of these drive-registry cleaning softwares or anti-malware softwares such as trojan removers, or antivirus softwares can remove Spywareblaster settings when they find them from your registry. I do not know if this is the case.

4. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

Oops.

Checking through Firefox I now realise that there are 2 different places where one can select to clear "site preferences".

1) There is a "Site Preferences" setting under Tools/Privacy/Settings

2) There is a "Site Preferences" setting which appears when you select Tools/Clear Recent History and a window appears.

Apparently the problem I had was with the second choice which was checked to be cleared as I exited Firefox. I tend to clear whatever data I can clear when I exit my browsers. My reason (Some have said: 'I can't imagine why would anyone want to clear these items') is a theory that the less outside imformation to be stored in my browsers from web surfing, the safer I am from some garbage doing mischief to my browser, my own operating system, or with my other private data. Not so crazy an idea I would think.

Anyway, for those that also find that unchecking "Site Preferences" does not solve this problem, it is good to realise that there is more than one place in Firefox where this option can be selected. Check (or actually, to be precise, Uncheck) both.

5. leofelix

leofelix Registered Member

Hi
    sorry if I bring up this thread.
    Unfortunately I have the same issue.
    Firefox 3.6 and Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) and Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit).
    JavaCool SpywareBlaster>Firefox>protection disabled.
    Even if I re-enable protection it seems it gets disabled by itself.

I do not face the same problem with Firefox 3.6 and XP or Vista (32 bit)

Any idea?
    Thank you in advance (and sorry for my poor english)

Cheers

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Sorry, I too wasn't aware that there were two places for this setting until you pointed it out (in "clear history now", it's under "details").

Sometimes so-called improvements in Firefox (or many other things, for that matter) don't help ... I'd like go back to the way older versions of Fx worked, where "clear now" simply used whatever you'd set up in Options.

(Edit) An even simpler solution would be if you could change that setting in either place and have it saved in both places, so there's no conflict.

7. leofelix

Thank you MikeBCda for you fast reply.

I thought Windows 7 was the culprit:D

I'll try to change some FF privacy settings.

Cheers

8. riolionel

riolionel Registered Member

@Leofelix:

If you provide some screenshots to the end, if you solve this issue, it would be great.

;)

9. leofelix

@ riolionel:
    I'd like to post some screenshots, but:
    1) I'm not still allowed to post images yet
    2) My O.S and my browser are in my native language, I think the most of users here wouldn't understand.

As a consequence, when I'll solve this issue I'll try to explain it in my ehr english

10. ripper4

ripper4 Registered Member

Thank you! To think I suffered for months trying to figure out this problem when I could have just found the solution here. I unchecked "site preferences" and viola!

ripper4

11. leofelix

Oh my God, you are right.
    It works.
    I have to clean my glasses or go and sleep more frequently:D

Thank you.
    Issue resolved:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.