Firefox world loses Web dev guru to Chrome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

Firefox world loses Web dev guru to Chrome

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-2...d-loses-web-dev-guru-to-chrome/#ixzz1SVMYmr1o

For years, an extension called Firebug has been a powerful tool that kept Web programmers loyal to Firefox.

But now, as browser makers add their own tools geared to attract those who build Web sites and applications, the lead Firebug programmer has taken a job with Chrome, CNET has learned.

"Monday, I start work on next-gen Web dev tools at Google on the Chrome browser team. Consequently I will no longer be contributing routinely to the development and maintenance of Firebug for Firefox," John J. Barton told members of a Firebug mailing list yesterday.

The change reflects the new rules of the browser market in which Firefox no longer holds such a central location.

Firebug was dominant in the days when Mozilla's Firefox was the dominant challenger of Microsoft's Internet Explorer, but now the browser market is as competitive as it's ever been. Chrome is steadily gaining usage share at Firefox's expense. On top of that, the use of mobile browsers is exploding, and the scope of what people do with a browser has expanded tremendously.

Web programming is a hot area as the era of static Web pages gives way to the era of dynamic Web applications with animated elements, interactive user interfaces, and heavy-duty software written in the JavaScript language. That makes the task of creating developer tools harder.

Barton had been an IBM employee. IBM made Firefox its default browser a year ago, a major endorsement for the open-source browser, but evidently IBM's priorities don't extend as far as Firefox these days.

"I think our current drive to re-architect Firebug is on the right track, but I could not obtain another year of support from IBM to contribute to that work," Barton said.

Web developer tools in browsers are under rapid development as browser makers court Web programmers. Chrome has its suite of developer tools. Apple's Safari has its Web Inspector and other tools. IE has the F12 developer tools. Firefox has a developer tools group, too.

Firebug is an elaborate extension for Firefox. But it's been a lot of work at times to keep Firebug updated as new versions of Firefox arrived. That was the case two years ago when Mozilla was trying to turn the new-version crank faster, and it's even more the case now that Firefox is fully engaged in Mozilla's new rapid-release program for Firefox.

Thus, Barton described Firebug's present challenges:

Working on Firebug with this great group of contributors was fun and I believe we had a tremendous impact on the Web over the years when Firebug was the only decent Web debugger

Now all of the browsers have (or will soon have) their own debuggers. Basing next gen work on Firebug is not practical. The pace of change in browsers is too fast for our team size. Firebug hasn't really been able to keep up with Firefox, let alone compete with other tools. Moreover, the shift from desktop to mobile and from one high-tech browser (Firefox) to three or more requires additional development effort."

Dion Almaer, who had worked on developer tools at Mozilla earlier in his career, noted the significance of Barton's new job in a blog post today.

"Firebug used to be the way you debugged your sites, but that is changed," Almaer said. "It is too early to claim that Firebug is zombied, but all eyes will be on that...especially as we see other browser tools continue to blossom."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-2...d-loses-web-dev-guru-to-chrome/#ixzz1SVMSQEdZ

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Feels good to be using Chrome haha

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Firefox 8 64 bit

I don't use Fx much these days, but its future isn't looking too bad.

4. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Your link don't works.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It works.

-http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20080338-264/firefox-world-loses-web-dev-guru-to-chrome/#ixzz1SVMSQEdZ-

Remove the - at the beginning and end of the above and try.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It seems Barton was an IBM employee but "he has been unable to convince IBM, his previous employer, to support him for a further year."
    -http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Firebug-developer-joins-Chrome-browser-team-1281467.html-

Looks like IBM is paying back Mozilla for the rapid versioning :D

At this rate, IBM will cement its current standing in the open source community, especially after its moves on Java and Oo_O.

7. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Sorry i was talking about Daveski17's link.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Daveski17 is famous for such things. Comes of juggling too many browsers and listening to Wagner at the same time.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, sorry fellas, I'm going to have to listen to more Puccini & browser-juggle less.

Firefox 64 bit link

Oh, before I forget, this has a small relevance to Chrome as it uses Webkit, you can now download the Baidu browser. I doubt if I will though. Now ... where's that CD of Tosca?

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I wonder when the Chrome version will be as feature-filled. The name still reminds me of Firefox though.

Honestly, I've yet to see anything good come out of Firefox's copy of rapid versioning. I like rapid development, but not this.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm very impressed by the rapid versioning.

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

considering it just started and that we've only had one stable release since its inception, i think its doing fine, we should probably wait to judge it until its had some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.