Firefox won't install any Firefox plugins or run anything in Ubunto OR Fedora

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cheater87, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

WHYo_O This started happening when I updated to 9.04 for Ubuntu. Nothing would install so I tried Fedora and STILL nothing.

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

What plugins exactly? I am on Fedora 10 here and all FF plugins work for me.

3. cheater87

Flash player and some other plug ins needed when visiting youtube or mywot.com

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Flash plugin you have to install either manually, or from the repositories, it won't work if you try doing it in Firefox when it prompts you while browsing etc.

5. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Just go to Add/Remove, All Available Application and search for Ubuntu restricted extras, tick the box and Apply Changes.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

cheater, I beg you:

When asking for help, GO INTO DETAILS! It's impossible to help you when you state problems in just a few curt, clipped sentences. You need to be exact, post exact errors codes - this means running the app from the command line and watching what happens - and anything else that might help.

Furthermore, did you try other browsers, did you try to install flash plugin on your own? Details, details ...

Please read your own posts and tell me if they help you understand what you ask. Help us help you help you.

Mrk

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The problem with upgrades to Ubuntu and Firefox Add-on extensions is that the developers of the Add-ons do not exactly keep the add-ons up-to-date with newer versions of Firefox let alone new versions of the OS, e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 which may use a more up-to-date version of Firefox.

The problem is fixable for most add-ons, however, as I have found out. It is in the value of the maxVersion value in the install.rdf file. It can easily be editeded to allow the extension to work when a new version of Firefox is release if the add-on does not work. You may have to issue the chmod ugo+w install.rdf command to allow permission to edit the install.rdf file or issue the chmod command with a sudo prefix if it has only root permissions.

I just edit the value to fit future releases. You think it is a problem now, just wait until Firefox bumps up from 3.0.9 to not 3.1, but 3.5! I have the problem using 3.1b4, so I have backed off to using 3.0.9 where they all work now. I'll wait until 3.5 gets released rather than fix the problem w/the 3.1b4. There are some features I do not like, and some that I do with the newer Firefox beta release.

-- Tom

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Considering how Ubuntu ships with Fx 3.0.8, I doubt that.

Extensions breaking for new releases are common, but I've rarely seen any that break for minor point updates.

9. lotuseclat79

Hi Eice,

It all depends on the value the author of the Add-on posted for maxVersion. If it is not very inclusive, then it usually breaks, otherwise, the author with foresight makes it inclusive for future anticipated releases.

Since I have about 24 add-ons, I tend to see the problem a lot. Those with a considerable lesser amount of add-ons won't necessarily see the problem. How many do you have?

You can check your extensions by doing the following to access how severe the problem may get in the future:
    $ cd .mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions
    $ find . -name "install.rdf" -exec grep 'maxVersion' {} \; -print

-- Tom

10. lotuseclat79

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 released yesterday available here. Release Notes here.

Firefox 3.0.10 released yesterday available here. Release Notes here.

-- Tom

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  11. cheater87

I feel stupid haha. I was making new partitions with smaller and smaller sizes instead of putting it on the partition that Ubuntu was on before. I went to windows reformatted the partitions and installed it. Everything is now working.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.