Firefox wonky problems - Learn from my mistake

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jul 20, 2017.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Having slowdowns & other weird **** in Firefox.

Refreshed & restored profile. And a lot of idiotic fix attempts in between. No soap.

So the fix: disabled all Add-ons & added them all back 1 by 1. Testing the borkiness in between. Found the demon add-on which I've used for years aok. Never would have guessed. Installed replacement. So far so good.

2. Fad

Fad Registered Member

For the sake of curiosity, which addon was causing the problem ?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Forecastfox (fixed) a weather app.

4. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

That's what I've been telling many people complaining about Firefox being slow: Create a new profile (by launching FF with the -p switch) and check if it solves your problem! And if it does, transfer your data from the old profile to the new one - here's how to do it.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Here's what I'm using now.
    Weather 4.0.7
    "The best way to see the weather right in your browser. Easier than looking outside!
    Automatically locates and displays your current weather, hourly and 5 day forecast. The app icon will automatically update to your current temperature. Very easy to use with more features coming soon!"
    https://weatherextension.com/

Liking it a lot.

7. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Not sure my problem is wonky but it is aggravating. I sign off my Laptop computer, each night, which turns it off; I then unplug the computer and put it away. The next morning after retrieving it I plug it in and turn it on. My computer is a Lenovo "ideapad" 110 Laptop with the Windows 10 Home version Operating System. However, when I turn my computer on and sign on to Firefox Quantum, 58.0.2 (64-bit) I see a screen telling me I either need to restore the session or open a new Firefox session. I can choose either and Firefox will then open as it should; or, I can simply click on the Home Icon and it will do the same. Not sure why after a night being off when it is turned on and I click on the Firefox Icon it simply doesn't open Firefox as it used to. Has any member experienced anything like this? If so, could you please advise me as to what you did to correct it? As always I would appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have W7P64 & know spit little about W10. So maybe that's it.

But how does "....I sign off my Laptop computer, each night, which turns it off...." turn off your computer?

Nothing but "Shut Down" turns off my Thinkpad e540.

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

firefox need some time to finish data writing back - if you shut down your computer while this action firefox is forced to terminate which is same as crash. thats different from hibernation which will load a pre-defined memory state.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I read somewhere that selecting Exit on the drop down menu. Instead of X'ing out FF is Mozilla's preferred way they'd like users to shutdown FF. That it's cleaner & a surer way that no FF processes are left running.

11. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

When I am
    Oops! I did say sign off, shouldn't have said that, I should have said shut down. And I have tried Exit on the drop down menu with the same results. My memory is not as good as it once was but I believe when I first purchased my Laptop and installed Firefox I didn't experience this problem. I thought that maybe it was something simple I had done that could easily be corrected. Maybe not!

12. JoWazzoo

JoWazzoo Registered Member

@jpcummins

"but I believe when I first purchased my Laptop and installed Firefox I didn't experience this problem."

How many versions ago was that? FF now nearly constantly writes to disk. The more tabs open the more writing. It did this in a much more restrained manner 10 versions or so ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.