Firefox vertical scrolling with mouse wheel

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Biscuit, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

With my other SafeOnline problems, I've just tested a scrolling issue with Firefox. I've been having occasional issues where I cannot scroll with the mouse button within Firefox - although scrolling works in other apps. I've been playing with settings, removing Intellimouse, trying various versions of Katmouse. I've now found that disabling SafeOnline fixes the issue.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This will likely also be solved by changing the SafeOnline configuration from Maximum to High to allow the usermode mouse application access within the browser.

If it doesn't, however, let me know and I'll investigate further!

3. Biscuit

Thanks

I don't really understand about changing the configuration, as this seems to be set in a number of rules. Do I change the configuration is every rule, or is there some sort of default I should change?

4. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Hi Biscuit.

There's default rules for HTTP and HTTPS sites at the top of the list.

You can change the default security configuration rules there (from MAX to HIGH for example).

If you add a website specifically to the list, this will override the default rules and you will need to set the security configuration you want for that entry separately.

You may need to re-start your browser for the changes to be recognised.

Unless you want a different security configuration than the default ones, or you want to use the Advanced Tab (to scan before login or to protect some data) you don't really need to Add any websites of your own to the list.

5. Biscuit

Thanks Plin_Man

I have just re-enabled Safeonline

I do not have a specific config for Wilders & my default for http websites is set to "low". Does that mean that I do not need to change a setting?

FWIW A few seconds after re-enabling Safeonline, I can no longer scroll this page with my mouse wheel.

Edit: Disabling Safeonline immediately gives me back my mouse wheel scroll without needing to restart Firefox.

6. pling_man

Sounds like you have it setup correctly and its a bug or incompatibility somewhere.

I can't test it here as I don't have a mouse. I can scroll fine with the touchpad on my laptop though even with max security set.

Have you checked the entries for your mouse in Firefox's configuration settings are not being changed?

type about:config in the address bar, click ok to enter the dragons den.

The default settings are:

mousewheel.withnokey.action = 0
    mousewheel.withnokey.numlines = 6
    mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines = true <-- you might try toggling this to false then true. Or even leave it on false.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. Biscuit

Thanks, I found those tweaks & checked them last week. It really does seem to be Prevx. :(

8. PrevxHelp

It could very well be Prevx - we've received your log and will be processing it tonight/tomorrow to hopefully correct the issues. If this doesn't fix it, we may need to take a look remotely to try and diagnose the problem (however, I'm currently at the RSA Conference in San Francisco so not fully available - but we can schedule a time soon if possible).

9. Biscuit

I just checked my wife's pc which has just about the same config. Her scroll is working. I however, am using the Katmouse program which allows scrolling of the window with mouse-over, not the window in focus.

Could Katmouse be the issue?

http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

10. pling_man

Could you install it on your wife's PC and see if the problem occurs. Then uninstall it?

11. PrevxHelp

This is very likely the issue - I've added it into our next round of testing and we'll hopefully have it reproduced/corrected within the next version!

I'll let you know what we find :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.