Firefox tries to install sunbird

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by avboy, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hello,

Today as soon as I upgraded to FF 3.5.1 and restarted FF, CIS informed that FF is trying to install Sunbird 0.9.

Is this some new feature of 3.5.1? I still fail to understand why FF will try to install Sunbird.

I also installed Keyscrambler. I hope that has nothing to do with it! Highly unlikely as Comodo message clearly shows that Firefox wants to install Sunbird.

Any help will be useful.

Regards,
    Avboy

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Sunbird is a Mozilla calendar app associated w/Firefox.

-- Tom

3. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot. But to be more specific (and feel safe) is this a new feature introduced in 3.5.1 as Comodo never alerted me before about this installation in previous versions.

Thanks again.

Avboy

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm surprised someone as nervous as you could even trust Comodo software, seriously.

5. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hi elapsed,

This is going off topic, but after reading threads in Wilders I have nothing to show that CIS is flawed or not secure. Other than some search/tool bar etc installation (that can be avoided through custom installation), I haven't fond anything YET. The features offered for free like Defense+ suits me well.

If you have anything specific, kindly pinpoint to such information. It will guide me better.

Regards,
    Avboy

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Avboy,

I wouldn't worry about it. You simply have Comodo set to alert you if any software is attempting to install other software. Since you have a trusted download of Firefox 3.5.1 (you do - don't you?), and Sunbird falls under the aegis of Mozilla, you can elect to ask the support forums at Mozilla Firefox Support website first, or just go ahead and install it. There should always be a way to back it out if you are not sure you need it, and can ask them at the forum how to do that. I very much doubt there is any security risk by installing it - but, you never know, eh? ;)

-- Tom

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Actually I wasn't even going to bother replying, but maybe I should have since I should have know that if I didn't you would jump in to the rescue with your massive word dictionary consisting of the 1 word "haha". Good day to you...

8. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hi Tom and ssj100,

Thanks for replying. I have attached the screenshot of D+ events. It is still trying to install Sunbird (which I had previously downloaded on my hard disk) through image execute (I have blocked it for the time). I upgraded FF through FF 3.5 itself.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7553/defenseplusevents.png

SAS free and Avira Premium scans did not detect anything.

9. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hi,

Did a clean full install of FF 3.5.1 instead of upgrading through 3.5. The problem has gone away. No more image execution to install Sunbird!

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards

10. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I don't quite get this.Did the installer for sunbird actually started or you assumed this by viewing Comodo Alert?Could be a bug,or a wrong description of the alert.

11. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Sorry cant confirm that. It happened on my business notebook. So didn't care to go further to see if installation happened. Blocked it right there. Checked D+ event logs to see multiple instances of FF trying to do it. In fact every time I rebooted this happened (till I did a clean install as mentioned above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.