Firefox - the Aurora and beta channels

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What's your internet speed?

It's far more likely that its your browser/ the websites poor coding choices that are limiting. Unless you're under a 3mbps connection.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hah! 3mbps! I'm talking 256kbps on one connection and 384 kbps (max) on another!!! So you see that the browser speed is quite, quite irrelevant for me.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Maybe it is extensions, though I only use ABP and Noscript. I seem to get issues where images will load rather slowly on a page, however, this is with Noscript, so heavy scripting can't quite be blamed. Nor can I blame it on a graphics issue (unless we're talking acceleration), since games and such run just as speedy as ever (both web games and actual games like World of Warcraft). Both FF5 and 7 have this issue, along with the others I mentioned. I checked my connection speed too, and the network is fine. So it's got to be something changed in FF, though what that would be I have no idea. A programmer I am not :)

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

In reference to memory usage not being lower on the new firefox, it will definitely be ABP + whatever lists you are using. They generally take a lot of memory, but this memory is static (just the lists) and not to worry about.

5. Hungry Man

Sounds like it.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, if it (ABP) starts impacting page load times, then using fewer or shorter lists maybe advisable. But, IIRC, you've had problems with even earlier versions of Fx.

BTW, I've stopped using ABP. I used NotScript for less than a day a couple of years ago. So I won't comment.

Instead, I use SimpleBlock and Privoxy to block content and unwanted scripts.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, memory, for example, will generally top out at about 800Mb for the FF process itself, and the plugin container can go up to 200+, again, by itself. This is in both 5 and 7. Regarding lists, I use the following: Fanboy, Fanboy tracking (both national/international), Fanboy Annoyances, Fanboy Object Dimensions, Fanboy Japanese/Korean/Russian (I have to visit several sites from these nations), and Fanboy P2P (though honestly this is an iffy list, as P2P websites generally are covered under the other lists).

Perhaps the lists do need cut down some, but that's still a lot of memory being used, even before adding in heavy multimedia.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Personally that memory usage wouldn't really bother me and I'd rather have the lists blocking all ads/tracking content. Again it's static memory and should not impact performance of the machine (assuming memory is abundant) or page load time, infact, blocking the content should speed things up.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm working with 6Gb of RAM, so I have plenty to use. I don't know, it's just FF5 and 7 that seem to be this way. I don't recall having the issue on 4. *shrug* Who knows:D

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I seem to remember that you had had some issue with Fx 4 and hence my earlier comment.
    from here: -http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1850741&postcount=38-

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good catch there, and thanks for the reminder :) I'm not even sure what those were about now, but obviously a lot has been going on for me with Firefox, lol.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Down Them All isn't working for me with the latest (and greatest) Aurora. If I right-click on content that can be downloaded, I get a context menu, I click on DTA from that menu and get another very detailed context menu (which seems new to me), but then clicking on any choice causes the context menus to disappear and absolutely nothing happens.

It seemed to be working fine with Fx 7 (beta). I'm thinking of keeping Fx 7 (beta portable) as a standby when it is available.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i can say wow the newest aurora is way faster than the stable version 6... HUGE difference at least for me there sure is even with just page loads.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Still not available. There was a time even nightly builds used to be available at portableapps.com. I wonder whether there's some issue that is responsible :(

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, seems like they are super busy with the Platform 'Next' Pre-Release Bug Reports.

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Okay and thanks, JR. After all they're volunteering their time and money so it's totally their call.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes! the beta is up there. The reason I want the beta is because of one add-on that doesn't seem to work in Aurora, DownThemAll!.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Good thing it won't be long until it's stable as well.

23. Hungry Man

Looks like Firefox 7 will be the default browser for Ubuntu 11.10's release.

24. tlu

tlu Guest

Indeed - and memory consumption is dramatically lower!

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm on Aurora on Windows but am on beta on Ubuntu 11.04 (Unity).

One thing I didn't like was that trivial updates are not delta (= differential) if I update via Ubuntu Software Center. The update from 6.0 to 6.01 was a full 15 MB.

For the beta, I got the tar direct from Mozilla:
    -https://www.mozilla.org/products/download.html?product=firefox-7.0b2&os=linux&lang=en-US-
    This version will be incrementally updated.

I'll stay with the official repository for other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.