Firefox iGoogle Home Page Scourge

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I use Firefox 3.5.5 with excellent results. The browser is a miracle to all users and relegates IE to a cosy grave.

NOW ! The net is full of search items from users pleading in desperation for a means of deleting the universally unpopular iGoogle Home Page Tab on the left side of the page.

Solutions are infinite, some from punters and many from "experts" with a conclusion that this obnoxious tab CANNOT be deleted. It was obviously inserted by some irresponsible idiot in the Google organisation to plague the butt off all their users.

WELL chums, this piece of crap CAN be removed easily in a few seconds. Never mind the whole batch of suggestions you may read on the net - DO THIS and get rid of this ridiculous piece of irresponsible crap for ever.

Search for "iGoogle Tab Remover", version 1.9.5 by David Rubin in the authentic Add-ons for Firefox. Download it - it only takes a few seconds, install this add-on and activate.

BINGO ! The Home Tab scourge of iGoogle is GONE for ever.

All the countless hundreds of pleading users and worthless solutions that come up on the net relating to this brainless incursion into customers freedom of choice are rendered a waste of net space.

Job done in seconds.

John Bull

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have been using FF for years, and I don't see an iGoogle tab on the left side of any FF page. If you mean the icon of the little house that takes you to your home page, that takes you to the home page you set. If you mean the search area to the far right, you can use the drop down menu to change your search engine to your favorite if it's set to Google. :)

3. John Bull

Just enter " Removing iGoogle Home Page Tab" in your search and you will be inundated with users who want to get rid of this persistent pest. If you don`t get this annoying tab on your iGoogle, then you are lucky.

Many users are at their wits end trying to kill this tab, they have tried everything, but unless they use the add-on I describe, it will haunt them forever,

4. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I was one of the disappointed ones.

I liked my iGoogle with three steady columns below the search box, each containing one or two gadgets. Very simple, eye-pleasing, and functional. Then Google in their infinite wisdom goes and adds a navigation bar to the left side of the page dot dot dot

No option to disable it is provided by Google, I had to use the extension to get rid off the space-hungry tab bar that took space and above all made the page look ugly.

I noted they added their messenger to that tab bar. Why? If I need their messenger I can use a gadget, I don't need effin' tab bar to do that ...

5. John Bull

In case nobody here has this problem, here is a screen shot of what others do have ;-

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/iGoogleresize.jpg

This piece of Googlitic brainless nonsense occupies width space and you will see that the calendar is cut off to make room for it.

Once the add-on I specified is activated, this piece of rubbish is killed off and the gadgets can expand.

This matter is the subject of countless irritated users on other Forums, together with solutions offered that do not work. Only this add-on does the trick.

I am not out for any discussion, just to give the solution to those users who are subjected to this iGoogle Home Tab monstrosity.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Holy toolbars batman! When I used to use the iGoogle homepage, I seem to remember blurbs under the Google logo promoting a toolbar. Remembering when I allowed a Google toolbar years ago, and finally got rid of it, I chose not to even look at the latest version. If your picture is the latest morf I'm glad I passed it up. Who designed that monstrosity! Some kid? :argh:

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I'm with you on all accounts. Have no idea what they are talking about!

8. John Bull

Holy Moses Robin, guess you are just missing out on modern technology. I reckon my "morph" is quite impressive and the Google toolbar superb.
    Still you keep driving ya ole Ford T banger and honk ya way around whilst the rest of us make use of the facilities that are offered by our cybernetic super-stars of today.

PSSSST ! Have you overlooked the theme of this thread ? That is to offer those countless unhappy tens of thousands of users who are plagued by this obscene autocratic Googlistic Home Tab crapping up their iGoogle pages, a quick way to get rid of it by using a simple Firefox add-on.

Man, you cannot be serious - Batman

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Why did you show us folks who don't have the problem the screenshot in post #5 if you are directing the thread to folks who have the problem? You should have warned me to keep it to myself if you didn't want me to comment on it. :D

10. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

After a little searching I figured out what this is all about. Only applies if you use iGoogle.

For what it's worth, Greasemonkey can do the same thing.

11. lordpake

It applies to iGoogle homepage, you need to be logged in and using it to see the changes. iGoogle is additional service from Google which allows user to customize their Google page.

Google has been steadily rolling the changes to different language versions of iGoogle.

12. John Bull

Sorry, but you must read the thread properly and understand the precise implication. All I intended with this thread is to give all those countless thousands of users who are wailing their guts out about this scourge, the means of getting rid of it. Google must have engaged some idiot from the funny farm to play havoc with their system.

I rest my case - and hope all those viewers that have this pestilence on their iGoogle have now got the means to shove it into the crap bin where it deserves to be.

I will not pursue this thread any more in the hope that the initial intention has now been accomplished.

John Bull

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A slight off-topic excursion excised.

Folks - focus on the topic, not the posters. It would also be appreciated if you leave snap judgments at the door.

Thanks in advance.

Blue

14. John Bull

Just a final post on this item, which I hope has helped a great many people.

If in doubt as to the pestilence of this Home Tab on iGoogle, have a look at the following Google Help Forum posts - THEY sure do appreciate this problem. I was not bluffing.

www.google.co.uk/support/forum/p/Talk/thread?tid=282be484bb212cb0.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  15. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

The purpose of it is if you have multiple pages on your igoogle page. I use it all the time to go between my pages and then back to my main page. You use it to navigate with.

Attached Files:

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Install Firefox No Script, and block Google analytics and then make Microsoft bing your default homepage and use it rather than Google. ;)

17. lordpake

Why would I want to do that? Problem here is Google doesn't allow those of us who only use one page to disable that navigation bar.

In my case that bar takes space and makes te whole page look ugly.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hence my suggestion. S+++w Google. Use a home page that's a pleasant experience.

19. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Yeah, or get a bigger monitor.lol:D

20. lordpake

As far as I am aware Bing doesn't offer same gadgets as does iGoogle, such as local public transport route guide/timetable gadget.

Switching to Bing would be counterproductive.

Also, what comes to JohnnyDollar's comment. Excuse me? I'm hardly going to buy a new monitor just because Google loses focus from their simplified ways of the past and becomes something else instead.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Lordpake- I don't know what iGoogle has that bing doesn't have, but I just want to suggest that you explore bing and see what it Does have. I like it over Google. :)

22. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

My comment wasn't intended to be taken literally, I wasn't being serious.:)

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have been using iGoogle for a long time and actually like the tab feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.