Firefox Has A Message When I Click On It

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Its working now since I restarted..But It kept saying "FF is already running but is not responding. to open a new window, u must 1st close the existing FF process or restart ur system". I already have the FF browser closed but when I kept trying to open FF, that message kept appearing.
    This happened after I scanned on SuperAntiSpyware and deleted all the adware tracking cookies. What should I do and why is this happening?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You could PM the developer of SAS with a link to this thread as he does visit Wilders. But you could ask at the SAS forum also. I'm sure they have one.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It doesn't sound like an SAS issue to me, more like a memory leak or different glitch. All I know is that Firefox has always done that from time to time. I don't remember the last time I saw this occur on another browser, if I ever have.

4. sooflymami

Oh, I did not know that..Can you give me the link to his profile thing so I can PM him on here?

5. sooflymami

Oh, when you kept clicking on FF, that message kept coming up too? Since that message kept coming up when I kept clicking on it, I had to restart and Yes, this is only happening on FF only for me too..IE is OK.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Whenever this happens again to you, to fix it, go to Task Manager (Ctr-Alt-Del) and find firefox in the process list. Then, hit "End now", and it'll ask you to confirm. Once you do, Firefox will be truly shut down and you can then click on Firefox normally and resume. Again, I'm not quite sure why it does it, but Firefox has long had this issue with many people.

7. sooflymami

Oh okay, I will do that next time when that happens.. I thought maybe this happened since I deleted all the adware tracking cookies that SAS detected.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

The next time that happens, open Task Manager by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" and look under the Processes tab. Look down the image name column for firefox.exe. If it is there or there more than once, it means that firefox is still running despite it not showing itself and you'll need to kill it manually. Right-click firefox.exe in Task Manager and click End Process. You will get a warning message so click Yes. Make sure all instances of firefox.exe are gone from the list of processes and then close Task Manager. Try and start Firefox again and it should work.

I've had this problem in the past with firefox when I have had to kill it manually. It's annoying, but I've gotten used to it. Make sure you only kill firefox.exe and nothing else.

My instructions are for older Windows versions up to XP. If your using Vista, you can get to Task Manager by pressing "Ctrl+Shift+Esc"

If it happens a lot or a restart doesn't fix it, you'll need to look through this page.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

Edit: Oops, it looks like dw426 beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.