firefox getting more and more sluggish with newer builds

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Create a new profile.

Keep your old one in case you need to go back to refer to something.

2. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Not fussed for RAM; FF is using 280MB... have 16GB in laptop.

Not sure if Portable is handled differently to Installed, but v46 didn't kick up a fuss for me in relation to IDM (still on 6.25 build 15 which was released to be compatible with v46). I upgraded FF from 45.0.2 and made about:config tweaks (some had to be re-tweaked since they were reset during upgrade, while added other tweaks as I came across them while researching for more information).

Better Privacy addon had to be updated to v1.7, which took care of the v46 incompatibility issue. Random Agent Spoofer was no longer spoofing E-Tags properly (according to IP Check), so I ended up disabling memory cache in FF which took care of that issue. I thought I would see a performance hit with both disk cache and memory cache disabled (in v45 I did), but in v46 it actually improved things a lot.

v46 is the first version in a long time that allowed successful containment in Sandboxie on my system. Random Agent Spoofer icon didn't show in v45 sandboxed, in v46 it does. Flash stalled and then crashed FF in v45 sandboxed, now it doesn't kick up a fuss at all. Also, no more FF crashes during idle time either!

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

No problem here with IDM [Internet Download Manager] 6.25.16 and FF 46.0 on Windows 10. FF and IDM have managed automatically the integration for a long time, in my case.

4. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I've had the same problem with 45.0.1 and 45.0.2. Since updating to ESR 45.1.0 I haven't had that issue yet, so I'm hoping it has been fixed.

5. The Dragonfly

The Dragonfly Registered Member

I went back to Firefox 45.x. Firefox 46 for both 32bit and 64bit completely slowed everything down. When I looked at my ram usage, Firefox was over 1500 mb. I don't know if it's HMP.A, Firefox 46, or a combination between the two. But I don't have the time or the patience to troubleshoot it right now.

6. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Have you seen post #18?

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

After updating Hitman Pro Alert to 369 Version. I no longer see any slowness with the browser (FF v46 64 bit, W10)

I watch many streamin sites with flash, and never had any issues/crashes/sluggishness..
    If you dont mind can u give me an example link where it happens most

8. The Dragonfly

I did read it, and had version 368 installed when I posted.

Where did you download version 369? I don't see it on the main site.

9. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

HMP.A 3.1.9.369 is still in beta.
    You can download it from the link in Erik's Wednesday 27 post in the HMP.A thread.
    Build 369 has a fix for a HMP.A issue caused by KB3146706 on Windows 7 x64.
    N.B.
    Mind you, as mentioned, HMP.A 3.1.9.369 is still in beta!
    Today, Erik had to have a look at a possible complication of HMP.A 3.1.9 build 369.

10. The Dragonfly

:confused:Herp Derp Durr.o_O I should have thought of that. I'll wait until it is out of beta before I update to Firefox 46 again.

11. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

HMP.A 3.1.9 build 368 is the build that was meant to improve compatibility with Firefox 46.
    HMP.A 3.1.9 build 369 was only meant to fix a code injection issue with Windows 7 x64 and KB3146706.
    I don't know if HMP.A build 369 is any more helpful to improve compatibility with Firefox 46 than HMP.A build 368.
    (And also, as I mentioned, HMP.A 3.1.9 build 369 is still in beta, and Erik had to have a look at a possible complication of HMP.A 3.1.9 build 369.)

N.B. Regarding Firefox, you may also want to read Mark Loman's two informative new posts.

12. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Those posts do not bode well for continued use of Firefox, unless something can be done.
    I have seen my Firefox memory continuously climbing even to 1.8GB or so, but now I was shocked to see it at 4.5GB!
    Edit: Have to keep restarting Firefox after a while to combat this.
    Memory usage seems related to number of tabs I have had open in a session, and does not reduce with closing of tabs ...

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Firefox 46.0.1 (32/64bit) feels okay.

14. paulderdash

Still not with me (FF 46.0.1 x64, Win 8.1). Won't get time today, but need to see if uninstalling HMP.A makes a difference.

15. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

I dont see any issues after updating HMP.A to 369 build.
    @paulderdash Does the slowness/memory issue occurs always? Or is it on some specific sites?
    Just a wild guess, try disabling HMP.A and exclude firefox from MBAE, to see if it makes any difference for you.

16. paulderdash

Thanks @harsha_mic - yes it occurs always (HMP.A 369). I don't run MBAE on this machine ...
    Will try disabling mitigations for FF in HMP.A, else uninstalling HMP.A (I also sometimes have lag on typing which could be keystroke encryption) but maybe can only get to this tomorrow.

17. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

a LOT of users complain about FF actually using the memory we have installed. if you didn't want it used, why did you install it? unused memory is not doing anything and might as well not even be there. i would like FF to use MORE not less free memory. unused memory is wasted. in any case, windows since and including win7 do not bother to deallocate memory until some other process actually needs it.

try running about: performance (no space after the colon) and/or about:memory from your url entry window. the latter has a button to release memory windows hasn't. the former will show you addons & extensions that are slowing down your firefox. about:memory also will show in gory detail where the memory is being used. there is also an about:config variable to force FF to deallocate memory currently unused when you minimize the window... this may be counter productive if after you deallocate, it decides it needs more again and has to go thru another lengthy allocation process before it can use more.

oh, and i'm using FF x64 version 49.0A1 nightly with electrolysis (e10s) enabled with dom.ipc.processCount;16 and do not notice any problems. e10s will eventually filter down into the release versions. and all my addons are digitally 'signed' and e10s compatible.

18. paulderdash

Before trying this, I tried a different FF profile (with only password manager add-on) and did not observe a slow-down.
    So I think it's one or more of the add-ons in my main profile that has a serious memory leak, and I will need to track it down.
    Until then I'll stop badmouthing HMP.A and boring people on this thread :)

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  19. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Please post the culprit when found as I have similar problems (and also use HMP.A).

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm curious about e10s; how many processes do you see in the task manager with e10s enabled? Is that dependent on the number of open tabs?

21. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Same issue with Vista 32bits.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I found that for myself anyway... safebrowsing is what makes browsing slow. I disabled it in the about:config file. Between Norton DNS, ESS, and Sandboxie I'm not too worried about it.

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Using FireFox 46.01 x 32x with HMPA no issues, no sluggishness.

FF using 489 RAM Standard Browsing.

FF using 358 RAM Private Browsing

Win 8.1 64X, EMIS 11

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, let us know add-on... maybe, I'll go back to HMP.A

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.