Firefox & Electrolysis - Oxygen for all?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

More is more. Let the witchcraft commence! Here we have a review and test of the new multiprocess windows feature named Electrolysis introduced in Mozilla Firefox, intended to improve security and performance, tested in Firefox 32-bit on Windows 10, with manual configuration and setup, basic usage with focus on stability, responsiveness, CPU behavior, memory utilization, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-electrolysis.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, it works with CTR, so that's a good start.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

About the FF sandbox, couldn't they make use of AppContainer?

4. TomeiNingen

TomeiNingen Registered Member

@Mrkvonic

Thanks for sharing that! I'm interested in playing with it myself, but could you elaborate on the possible dangers you refer to on your site before I bungle the thing?

Also, as you wrap up the post you say of Firefox that "It's not the speed that made people abandon it in favor of Chrome. But that's a different topic." I've been curious about the rise of Chrome's popularity as I'm still a staunch FF fanboy; since I'm clearly missing something, would you mind sharing why it is you think users might be turning to Chrome and away from FF if not for the speed difference? Assuming you perceive a reason aside from it being a default on Android and Chromebook devices, of course.

5. haakon

haakon Guest

Multiprocess wasn't too encouraging for my setup in 48 and 49, but things are decidedly looking up in 50...

My experience to date:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/cyberfox.384457/page-3#post-2631784
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/cyberfox.384457/page-3#post-2636261

Yeah, it's Cyberfox but that means it should work even better in Firefox. :cool:

As for speed, remember the words of the great Johnathan Livingston Seagull: Perfect speed is being there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
  6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

What if you have Sandboxie? Thank you and I will search for that answer!

7. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

That's exactly the same thing which I don't understand, in FF you have a bookmarks sidebar, you have everything you have in Chrome, and still people switch massively. I can't believe people have more trust in Google than in Mozilla either, so I'm left stumped why they flee, perhaps it might be the clumsy way flash & html5 are handled by Firefox, which indeed is far superior in Chrome, but I really don't know anything else Chrome offers over Firefox.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.