Firefox browser alternatives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Mar 11, 2016.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

So you dumped a browser because it would not play videos correctly in one website...wow with the billions of sites out there and you expect no problems with any of them...?

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Not IE, though :argh:

I'm yet to look at this browser, but it seems really nice!

Note that he mentioned using that particular site very often, it's not like he was having problems with a random site he found somewhere and never used it. So I can understand why he moved away from Pale Moon

3. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Exactly. Not concerned with BILLIONS of websites. Mainly interested in this particular one, ESPN and wilders of course :D I play the NFL, NHL, baseball videos there a lot on a daily basis in HTML5 format. Now if Palemoon can't do the job properly without garbled sound then I'll use the browser THAT can play the videos without a problem, for me as of now it is Firefox. End of discussion. If this bothers the Palemoon users then I suggest to contact the techies at Palemoon to try and correct the problem and not blame the website, as there isn't this problem in FF; and not dish someone who's bringing the attention to said problem.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Wolf, I cant tell you about the other browsers but I can confirm, ESPN works great with Firefox. Like you, I go there very often and never had any problems there. In my W7, I don't install Flash so for ESPN, I use HTML for viewing videos there, the sound is good quality.:)

Bo

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

For those who don't want the following features on Firefox:
    • GeoAPI;
    • Calling Home;
    • Weaker Crypto;
    • Pocket;
    • Referrer;
    • H264;
    • Automatic updates;
    • Ads on the NewTab;
    • Prefetch;
    • HeartBeat;
    • etc;
    See this file: https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/plain/libre/iceweasel/vendor.js
    Edit it as you wish.

If you use Windows, download it and save it as "user.js" or "prefs.js" on your Firefox profile folder (becareful not to overwrite your current profile!). To download it, right-click on the link above and select "Save Link As".

---------------------------

If you use Firefox on Linux (Ubuntu/openSUSE/Mint/Arch/Fedora):
    • (32bit) save the file at: /usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/vendor.js
    • (64bit) save the file at: /usr/lib64/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/vendor.js

(You will need root/sudo permissions to create the file).

If you use Iceweasel on Linux (e.g. on Debian):
    • (32bit) save the file at: /usr/lib/iceweasel/browser/defaults/preferences/vendor.js
    • (64bit) save the file at: /usr/lib64/iceweasel/browser/defaults/preferences/vendor.js

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Bo. Also in W7 but in 64 bit. Be interesting to see what other users with other browsers come up with. :thumb:

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This thread isn't about Firefox. At least that's what I gather from the mod's initial post.

9. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I've had to dump Firefox... its screwed up with ssl and sec user unknown errors.

I don't encounter them on my FF browser forks.

11. NormanF

Mozilla fork TenFourFox updated to ESR 38.8.0 for Mac PPC computers.

12. NormanF

Waterfox ESR updated to 46.0.1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.