Firefox assistance - "Server Not Found"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dogma, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi all

Over the last month or two I have been encountering persistent "Server not found" page, as firefox fails to connect to sites. This happens especially when multiple tabs are open.

However this does not occur whilst browsing with Internet Explorer.

Was wondering if anyone can help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I would not try to open microsoft sites in Firefox.

Microsoft sites are made with frontpage and such and absolutely suck.
    The question is - do you encounter these problems when trying to access other sites, not just microsoft?

Second option, maybe your router / firewall cannot handle too many connections?

Mrk

3. Basic

Basic Registered Member

hello dogma,

don't know if you have fixed your problem or not but i thought i might throw up some links for you to look at.

Error loading websites

Server not found....again!!!

1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

lot's of reading i know but maybe you will find the cause and solution for your problem.

4. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi Mark,

1. Yes; including my wordpress blog. I have only noticed the issue for the last couple of months or so.

I have 16 tabs open at the moment in Opera, all working without a glitch.

I have re-installed firefox (following a uninstall and reboot). But the problem persists.

2. I am running a DG834G v3 with no third party firewall - Do you know if their is a issue with multiple connections with this router? Thanks.

Hi Basic,

I havn't yet resolved the issue. It's been a long day and have been fasting. I will have a read through the links you've provided. Thanks.

5. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Although the links refer to firefox 1.5.0.X (I'm running 2.0.0.6), the topic starters are facing the same problem.

There is one post which also states that when exiting Firefox the process, at times, continues to run. This is also identical to my predicament.

I have eliminated my ISP's DNS servers as being a factor by using OpenDNS servers and an alternative ISP server (used by my friend).

Can anyone inform me of the pros & cons of disabling IPv6?

In all honesty, if it does come down to disabling IPv6 or such. I think I'll swutch to Opera, atleast until a future trouble-free release.

6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

dogma,

I have experienced the server not found error several times in past versions of Firefox and again just recently. I have the latest version of FF. In the past I never found exactly what the problem was but it always seemed to be intermittent. When 2.0 came out I thought it had cured it for good, but as I said it has began to do it again now sometimes. I may go for days without one error finding a page or it may happen several times a day.

Every time without exception though I can click on the "Try Again" button in the error message and it will immediately bring up the web page I was seeking. Does that sound like what is happening to you? My father is having the same problem on his machine with FF.

7. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi Firebytes

Yes, although pressing the 'try again' button does not immediately load the site. I have to give it sometime, like 10 seconds or so. Thanks.

8. dogma

dogma Registered Member

I don't think it's Firefox's fault as it has just started to effect Opera browser. (only installed opera yesterday).

I am running a laptop over (wireless) netgear DG3484G router. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would install the lastest drivers for your wireless card
    then update the firmware on your router.
    lodore

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've never noticed IPv6 being used. it's just an IP address system that allows many more unique IPs. i think a lot of hardware will have to be replaced before it can be used so should be safe to disable.

the above is just from memory so might be completely wrong lol. maybe IPv4 and IPv6 can be used at the same time.
    here are some links
    http://searchnetworkingchannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid100_gci1215505,00.html <--- this has a short podcast at the first link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IPng.html

BTW, i have seen IPv6 needing to be disabled to fix firefox in the past, but i think it's normally because it's not working at all. i'd try using openDNS to try and fix the problem, or looking at your ISP's forum to see if other's have the same problem.

you could try that firefox extension that does all that pipeline stuff too.

11. dogma

dogma Registered Member

@ lodore - just installed the latest drivers for my wireless card. Router firmware is already up-to-date. Let's see what happens. Thanks

@ iceni60 - Hopefully I won't have to resort to disabling IPv6. I will skim through all the links. Thanks.

btw I've been running OpenDNS since London servers have been up, only switching back and forth to my ISP servers trying to resolve this issue.

12. dogma

dogma Registered Member

I've been running without Geswall for about a week and not faced any "server not found pages".

However, Firefox has updated twice since I first reported the problem from 2.0.0.6 to 2.0.0.8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.