Firefox apparmor profile

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Generated on OpenSUSE 12.2, things might be a little different on *buntu. Just wanted to share it, and wondering what editing it could use.

Code:
    # Last Modified: Wed Feb 13 18:07:20 2013
    #include <tunables/global>

/usr/lib/firefox/firefox {
      #include <abstractions/base>
      #include <abstractions/nameservice>

deny capability sys_ptrace,

deny /bin/bash rx,

/bin/ps rix,
      /dev/dri/* rw,
      /dev/shm/ r,
      /dev/shm/* rw,
      /dev/tty rw,
      /etc/** r,
      /home/*/.ICEauthority r,
      /home/*/.adobe/**/ r,
      /home/*/.config/* r,
      /home/*/.fontconfig/* r,
      /home/*/.gstreamer-0.10/* r,
      /home/*/.local/** rw,
      /home/*/.macromedia/** rw,
      /home/*/.mozilla/** rwk,
      /home/*/.pulse-cookie rwk,
      /home/*/Downloads/* rw,
      /proc/ r,
      /proc/*/cmdline r,
      /proc/*/fd/ r,
      /proc/*/mountinfo r,
      /proc/*/stat r,
      /proc/*/status r,
      /proc/cpuinfo r,
      /proc/filesystems r,
      /proc/meminfo r,
      /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max r,
      /proc/tty/drivers r,
      /proc/uptime r,
      /sys/devices/system/cpu/present r,
      /tmp/ r,
      /tmp/* rw,
      /tmp/** w,
      /usr/** r,
      /usr/bin/grep rix,
      /usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container rix,
      /usr/lib{,32,64}/** mr,
      /var/** r,

}

This is basically the unedited output of an aa-genprof run.

- First off, I'm using /usr/lib/firefox/firefox because /usr/bin/firefox points to a shell script... Yay.

- As you can see, I used globbing, a lot. I figured letting Firefox read from most of the filesystem (/usr, /var, etc.) would be fine. On the other hand, in home directories it can only read from and write to ~/Downloads and a few other places.

- I denied it from launching bash on general principles. Why should a browser ever need to launch an interactive shell?

- I'm not entirely sure what sys_ptrace is, but it looks as though Firefox doesn't need it.

- All the stuff in /proc, I kind of wonder about. How much info does it need about all the stuff I'm running?

- Likewise rw permission to the world-writeable areas: /tmp, /var/tmp, /dev/shm. Maybe I should limit this? That might be difficult to do sanely; OTOH I don't want it clobbering something else's temp files, that would be a huge hazard.

- I should really read up on some of the flags. I figured inheritance means that a launched process inherits the same AppArmor profile? Yeah... I should really read up on this stuff.

- Finally, it seems like HTML5 videos don't work with this setup. Anything in particular I need for that?

Thanks in advance...

Edit: oh yeah, one more note - I did do a simple test on this, trying to make Firefox open a downloaded archive in File-roller. The test seemed to indicate that AppArmor was working, insofar as the archive manager was unable to launch.

Edit 2: also, if you want custom GTK2 themes to work, you have to add the following line:

Code:
      /home/*/.themes/** r,

Edit 3: Flash stopped working until I gave rw access to the audio devices:

Code:
      /dev/snd/** rw,

This seems unwise though. Wouldn't the above allow Firefox to also record audio, which I definitely don't want?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.