Firefox and Java - any hope in sight?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

It seems to be fairly common knowledge, even if often acquired the hard way, that the last few versions of Firefox and the last few of Sun Java just don't get along together. Installing Sun via Firefox's "missing plug-in" thingie usually mis-identifies my browser as Netscape and hangs up trying to find the proper files and folders.

And if (as in my case) Sun's JRE is already in via IE, Firefox will recognize it -- but usually crashes in mid-game, often without even an error message.

Anyone heard any encouraging news from Mozilla and/or Sun that they're actually trying to get their heads together on this one and cooperate on finding a solution?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I haven't heard anything but, I agree, they do need to work on the Java issues.

One site that bothers me is The National Weather Service in the U.S. They are using Java for radar. It is too important during bad weather for those of us that use their site, not to have it work correctly. Discounting the fact that the Weather Service made a mistake using Java in the first place.

3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Ar... sorry i am Pro Java and Anti .Net...... So i don't really fit in to the discussion :D

I haven't heard anything on JAVA issues, are you using Firefox Nightly Builds or 1.04?
    JRE 5.0 or 1.4.x?

4. MikeBCda

I'm using "regular" Firefox 1.0.4, and Java 1.5.0_02-b09. And you'll find several references here alone (Wilders, that is) indicating that the incompatibily goes at least as far back as Fox 1.0 and Java 1.3.

Sun seriously needs to get their act together about update checks, too. Regardless of whether I try that hopeless "Check for updates" in the (Java) control panel, or check on-site, I'm told that my 1.5 Update 2 is current even though I know Update 3, maybe even higher, has been out many weeks now.

And I strongly resent being forced to uninstall (a necessity), then taking forever to do a fresh download and install, only to find I've been given the same version that I started with.

5. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Could you please provide a link? I have these sites displayed with both IE and FF on a dual monitor system:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.ksox.shtml

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.ksox.shtml

Both look the same.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Strange.... i never have problem...... Need a Little research on it. Thx for the info

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. MikeBCda

Seemed to load and display OK for me -- took forever, though. I'm not using any proxy, except for the "transparent" one in avast's Web Shield, if that makes a difference.

9. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Fine with me too.

I am using Firefox 1.0.4, and Java 1.5.0_02-b09 on Windows 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.